Audible next piece

Thread in 'Discussion' started by tepples, 1 Jul 2006.

1. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

When I watched that widely circulated death_800 video, I wondered what some of those sounds that covered up the music were. Later I realized that each one represented one next piece. For those who have played TGM series, is an audible next piece helpful or distracting?

2. I think it's more of a decorative element than being really useful, as most players (at least all I know) do not attempt to discern the next piece by sound. I feel it sort of helps me get a hang of the rhythm though.

On a similar topic, what are people's opinions on sound effects in the game, like movement / rotation / hard drop / lock / line clear / etc?

I feel that different sound effects can make the pieces feel like they're made of different materials, ie. metal, plastic or wood.

3. For what it's worth, I know the sound of the I piece by heart and I haven't made any effort at all towards such a goal. So I do think it helps, if only at a subconscious level. When you have multiple piece previews then I think it becomes almost purely cosmetic though.

As for other sound effects, I wish TGM had a sound for when pieces hit the wall. It would really help for a lot of DAS related time attack techniques. And yeah, the quality of the sound makes the pieces seem made out of different materials.