List of games
Official Tetris games pre-TTC
Legal disputes make the term official unclear for some early titles. To clarify, this list includes both licensed games and those developed under the pretense of having a license.
Official games licensed by The Tetris Company
By 1997, The Tetris Company was up and running, and the Tetris Guideline started to take shape.
Other "-tris" games
Some games used the Tetris name or its '-tris' suffix in their titles, despite their distinctively different gameplay. Legal disputes make it unclear which early games used the name or suffix legally. The list below includes both licensed uses and uses by developers who have also made an official Tetris game.
- Welltris, 1989
- Hatris, 1990
- Faces...Tris III, 1991
- Wordtris, 1991
- Tetris 2, 1993
- Tetris Flash, 1993
- Tetris Attack, 1996
- 3D Tetris, 1996
- Tetrisphere, 1997
- Hatris (G-mode), 2006
Notable fan games and unlicensed games
There are many fan made derivatives of Tetris. Sometimes these games infringed on copyright and/or trademark, though nevertheless a number of them have fostered a large user base and have achieved some cultural importance. Other notables use of Tetris include: art medium (see Tetris Building), algorithmic exercises (see Tetris AI), and even testing equipment (as the game originally was made to do).
- ТЕТРИС SEMIPRO-68k (aka Shimizu Tetris), 1989
- Twintris (Digital Marketing, programmed by Svein Berge), 1990
- NYET III, 1993
- ACiD Tetris, 1997
- Super ACiD Block Attack, 2002
- DuelTris, 1992
- Tetrin 55 (aka Picorin), 1996
- Tetrinet, 1997
- Quadra, 1999
- Heboris, 2001
- Heboris Unofficial Expansion, 2003?
- DTET, 2003?
- GTET, 1999?
- Tetrinet2, 2001
- Tetris Building, 1995, 2000, 2002
- Cultris, 2005
- Lockjaw, 2006
- Crystal Cubes, 2006
- Vertris, 2006
- Texmaster, 2007
- UNO Free Fall, 2007
- Tetris the Grand Master 3: Terror Instinct (DS version) , 2008
- Megatris, runs on a Uzebox custom game console
- S.T.A.C.K.E.R., inspired by both Tetris and S.T.A.L.K.E.R., scored 6th on TIGSource.com demake competition. 2008
- Excel Tetris
Tetris as easter eggs
Due to its relative easiness to program, Tetris is often used as an easter egg.