Any Tetris Plus / Tetris Plus 2 Puzzle Mode fans here ?

Thread in 'Discussion' started by MDARULZ, 19 Dec 2011.

1. Hello ! Mark Alpiger, from the King of Kong movie here (not braggin', just wanted to 'identify' myself !). I've been a Tetris player from way back, starting like 25 years ago ! Probably my first game was played in 1986, on the Apple IIGS version, which was very well done.

I do like 'regular' Tetris, but I became enthralled with a variation that I think is the best I've seen. Tetris Plus, and the sequel, Tetris Plus 2, contain a 'regular' version of Tetris. But the Puzzle Mode (PM) for both games is an incredible twist that is, simply put, pure genius. Definitely try it out if you never have, and I recommend TP2 over the original.

I love these games, and have a number of records on them. As a matter of fact, raising my already nice wr on TP, PM, Easy difficulty is what led me to these forums. YouTube member TetrisdAiSuki has a nice vid of his recent 174,200 mark on the game, and he gave myself and my forums (forums.classicarcadegaming.com) a 'shoutout' in his comments for the video.

OK - anyone else playin' puzzle mode on these games (whether on MAME, arcade, or even PS1) ?

Last edited: 3 Jan 2012
  2. welcome on board.
    I remember watching the King of Kong movie a while back ^^
    As for tetris plus, I used to play this one on my game boy for every holiday. I know for sure I have maxed out everything (score, level and number of lines) several times (not that difficult thoug ^^)
    As for the puzzle mode, never played that much but I'll give it a go once I'll have maxed out tetris game boy, tetris dx gbc and grand master death mode on tap.

3. Hey Mark, welcome. :)

I just bought Tetris Plus and Tetris Plus 2 PCBs on Yahoo Auctions, so I'll probably be taking another crack at Puzzle mode here pretty soon. (I wonder if I can convince someone to lend a cab for some Tetris shenanigans at California Extreme, haha.) I've also thought about trying to 1CC the GameBoy version, but I haven't really put in the necessary practice yet.

If you like puzzle-style play, you might also want to check out Tetris with Card Captor Sakura, Tetris Grand Master 3's Sakura mode, and (the granddaddy of all Tetris puzzle modes) Sega's FlashPoint. In these games, each stage has a number of gem blocks that must be cleared in order to progress. They're quite fun to play for time attack. :)