Congratulation you are GrandMaster

Thread in 'Discussion' started by K, 16 Jun 2006.

1. K

K

A new occidental Gm Class player have appeared :

cgwg : Normal mode --> 13:25:58

how do you feel cgwg for this first achievment ?

any comment ?

and congratulation again ! [​IMG]

2. Well yes, congratulations certainly.

But...

I don't think cgwg comes here at all.

frlofrlof

3. so thirteen minutes is the record?

4. No, 13:30 is the minimum requirement.

I can do it under 12 minutes, jago can do it in just over 10.

The best players can do it just over 9 minutes.

5. cosmonaut

cosmonaut Unregistered

what do you do in 13 minutes? (pardon my TGm series ignorance)

6. reaching level 999 in under 13:30 minutes gives you the GM ranking.

7. cosmonaut

cosmonaut Unregistered

what is a "level?" is that equivalent to a line in tetris DS?

8. The level increases by 1 every time you drop a tetromino, and it also increases by 1 for every line cleared, and at 99, 199, 299, 399, 499, 599, 699, 799, 899 and 998, you have to clear a line for it to go up.

9. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Each line is worth 3.5 levels or 1.4 pieces. So the goal is roughly 290 lines or 720 pieces in 13.5 minutes, right? That's 53.3 pieces per minute, and I exceed that in TDS vs. mode on a good day. Is there anything special about TGM that makes 60ppm hard to sustain?

10. oh, sorry-- i thought maybe this was some weird tgm3 record. eh, yeah-- way to go cwgw. [​IMG]

11. There's ARE, which is about a 1/2 second wait between each piece.

12. Yes. Keep in mind this is the original TGM... The ARE time and line clear animation are both rather long. In order to perform a fast time attack, you must place your pieces very quickly. For good players, a piece is active fewer than 10 frames on average.

Typical play is structured:

<pause> *pieces snaps into place almost instantly* <pause> etc....

Even though the original TGM has a top speed lower than 2 pieces per minute, players are moving the pieces at speeds equivalent to more than 6 pieces a second if there was no dead time. Of course, players get to think during the dead time so this is not meant as a direct comparison... But still, the pieces are moved much faster than you see in other games.

Play a bit of TGM1 and then watch the TGM1 video from Arika's site and I imagine you'll then understand the TGM style of gameplay much better.

13. K

K

get your first Gm grade on normal mode in TGM1 and you'll understand why i'm congratulating cgwg.... [​IMG]

14. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

So where can I search for TGM installations in a given state in the United States?

15. You can play TGM via an emulator, either MAME or Zinc. The actual emulation is pretty good: I got 60 fps with Zinc, and the graphics seems to be correct. I never tried it with mame, though.

I just achieved few days ago S1 rank in TGM. I'm happy ^^ (still, there's a long road to be ranked Gm ^-^) !

16. TGM sucks in MAME, it seems okay at first and then the sound starts clicking and lagging and it's so annoying that I'd rather play with the sound off.

*downloads Zinc*

17. If your computer is fast enough MAME is fine (that's what cgwg used). However there is a bug where the siren sound (activated by nearing the top of the screen) will not go away, even if you recover.

18. Guest

Guest Unregistered

It's strange to see a thread about me on a forum on which I only lurk.

Thank you to all who have congratulated me. It felt quite satistying to finally reach Gm grade, especially after missing by only 0.98 seconds a week earlier.

cgwg

19. i have played TGM1 on MAME and also experienced the too close to the top siren that won't go away. It's not too big a deal as i just soft reset to make it stop. Do people use keyboard or controllers while playing i wonder? I tried with a keyboard to absolutely no avail, but have ranked to S2 in my brief times playing with a controller. Since i have never played the 'real' TGM though i have no basis for comparing it to the arcade machine. It does feel a little sluggish with my setup, but that might just be me. I really only tried it out just to see what TGM was like, and i think i got that out of it, but it leaves me wanting more for sure.

20. Most people use either keyboard or joystick. I've never heard of a fast TGM player who used a gamepad, though I suppose it would be possible. Not for me though! I'm complete rubbish with a gamepad.