[DUPE] Tetris at the WCG

Thread in 'Discussion' started by massi4h, 13 Dec 2007.

1. massi4h

massi4h Unregistered

I can't believe no-one's posted this yet, so I will.

A thing that's been going on for a while is voting for what games will be held in next years WCG (the World Cyber Games, sorta the e-olympics except for some bad ratings this year) in Cologne, Germany.

In the etc. category on the poll there is a certain game that we all love here at TC called "Tetris"! The only info is that it's on PC.

Poll can be found here: http://www.worldcybergames.com/poll/selection2008.asp

Well first of all I obviously want you all to vote for it and I'd like to qualify for my country (New Zealand who are small and suck at games lol [although I still have pride in my country [​IMG]]) and it'd be cool having a few TC players in there.

Also what kind of tetris game do you think will be played? Only official PC game I can think of is tetris zone? But I haven't played it and don't know anything about it. And do you think it'll be straight keyboard or allow arcade/console/whatever controllers and certain official ones?

Vote and discuss!

2. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

3. massi4h

massi4h Unregistered

LAME. Shoulda searched just never saw it on the front page about a month ago so assumed it wasn't posted. Close it then

/crys in a corner

4. "Also what kind of tetris game do you think will be played?"

I would definitely hope they pick a versus game, and not just "play for the high score." I doubt WCG would do that anyway. I think they left it broad because they themselves didn't conclude on a game, and if a good candidate doesn't come up, which I don't think will happen, I'm willing to bet they just won't include Tetris.

5. K

K

what is this shity form ?

i totally don't care about all other games, but he definitly want us to fill each genre (and the platform?? Microsoft sponsoring or what ?) .... if peoples fill out quickly and dirty (as me), so tetris have some good chances to take the lead [​IMG]

6. I just hope that whichever Tetris game they use is close enough to the guideline so that I can adjust to it at a competitive level. Preferably ARS if it's with a keyboard, but I could cope with SRS. Fast DAS would be good too.

I don't think it's likely to happen, but I'll live in hope.

7. Muf

Muf

I'd say, ask them, and link them to a few tetrisconcept wiki articles to show them what the differences are between the various game rules. I don't think it'll be much trouble to get hold of some TGM3 cabinets for such a big organisation as the WCG/ICM.

8. now that you mention it, what's tgm3 versus like? i've never heard anyone talk about it before now.

9. Seems pretty similar to the VS mode on TGM and TAP.

It's quite good actually, both with and without weapon. Garbage isn't randomised, but is determined on where the clearing piece was placed, a la Quadra.

Death/Shirase VS is also excellent.

There were some Youtube videos of a Ti VS tournament, which included very high-calibre players, but they've been taken down, sadly.

10. The win condition is either reaching the level target first (the precise target is set by the arcade operator) or killing your opponent. Depending level target, an appropruate time limit is set for the match. If the time runs out, then whoever has the highest level wins. If the players have identical levels, the result is a tie. Similarly, if both players reach the target or die in the same frame, the game is a draw. Unless the level target is ridiculously short (say, level 100) then the match usually ends from death like typical versus.

You play a series of games to reach a set amount of points, like many VS games. The precise amount of points is set by the arcade operator. In the event of a draw, both players get a point. If the draw gives both players the winning points, then the defending player wins the series.

Players get identical piece sequences.

Garbage is entirely non-random, and is sent with doubles or greater with no bonuses for tetrises or back-to-back or combos. The pattern sent is the shape of the cleared lines (before the placement of the piece that cleared those lines). Your opponent receives the mirror of this pattern.

Optionally, there are items given out for every x (can't remember exactly) pieces played by a given player. Many of these temporarily change the cosmetic appearance of your opponent's screen in a way that wouldn't affect someone who can handle invisibility. A few rarer items actually attempt to make things geometrically difficult for the player.

Newly introduced in TGM3, are the fighting styles. You can choose 1 of 3 styles:

Attack

Your attacks send more garbage. After sending your line clear pattern to your opponent, it raises their screen Shirase-style a few more rows. I forget exactly what determines how many extra rows they get, but assume it's something not unlike triples get +1 and tetrises get +2.

Item

This makes you get items twice as fast so that you can bombard your opponent with gimmicks.

Defense

Whenever you clear lines, as a bonus the bottom rows of your screen get erased. I think this is symmetrical to the Attack style. So while Attack will clear "lines" and send "lines+bonus", Defense will clear "lines+bonus" and send "lines".

Each style can be worth picking depending on the particular matchup. But 2 serious, evenly matched players will probably always want to pick Attack.