Hello, nice to meet y'all

Thread in 'Discussion' started by DataAnalysisCosby, 18 Jan 2017.

1. I know there's a larger stickied thread related to the more tetris-related introductions but I had a few questions that I figured warranted making a new thread.

Hello! I'm a 21 year old software developer suddenly faced with the prospect of having to find my way in the world and actually having to develop hobbies and stuff like that. I've always been naturally good at tetris, not like amazing or anything but I was able to clear master in TGM3 with a final rank of 3 using the "world" settings on my first try. I'm sure most of you will scoff at that but it feels pretty good to have something I'm good at without having put much practice to it. I figured that even though I'm late to the game in terms of dedicating lots of time to it I could steadily improve and probably get pretty good just by playing an hour or two every day.

I'm going to be living in San Francisco after I graduate this semester and I was wondering if there are any like-minded tetris/video game scenes in the bay area. I've suddenly been faced with the fact that I'll probably have to make friends all over again, something I haven't done in four years, and as an introvert that's kind of hard. So I figured this might be a good place to start. I dunno, I thought I had a plan before I began writing this but it turns out I didn't.

Anyway, anyone know any good tutorials for learning zangi-moves? I'm getting okay at them but I'm so used to having infinite rotations after drop as a crutch.

Qlex likes this.
  2. Muf

Muf

You'll first have to switch to Classic, zangi-moves don't work in World rule.

3. Oh I'm aware, I just figured world rule was a handicap or something which is why I mentioned it. I don't think 20g works with world rule, does it?

4. Welcome! World rule is not a handicap, it uses a different rotation system called SRS. You can find out about it in the wiki: https://tetris.wiki/SRS
    Also, if im not entirely mistaken, 20G is the same in Classic and World, you just deal with it really differently.

5. I see, I have briefly read these articles and while I have not attempted to analyze the kicks in various situations, I am curious to know why many people prefer the ARS, besides having more sophisticated 20g play.

6. There's three reasons why I use ARS instead of SRS:
    • Two out of three of the TGM games are ARS-only (The second game being my favourite.)
    • SRS feels clunky af in TGM. Pieces fly all over the place at high speeds and it feels a bit cheap to be able to climb over (nearly) anything and it's too easy to reset the lock delay.
    • I prefer Sonic Drop to Hard Drop. It opens up more plays and is much quicker than SRS' way of soft dropping pieces to the floor.

7. I see, the second point is one of the reasons I considered world a crutch compared to classic. I would often rotate a piece a while when I head a mental gap. Also for climbing over things, I often have a harder time inserting an I piece to the far right if there is another piece to climb over in classic. I'm not sure if it's because I'm pressing the wrong button or because my structure is wrong, but classic is forcing me to change my structure incase of it.

I imagine Sonic drop will be more fun when I get used to it. I already enjoy the feel of pressing up and down on the lever. Makes a nice kathunk sound.

I always preferred nulpomino's mania mode two compared to three so I'm definitely going to search for a way to emulate TGM2. I'm glad other people seem to prefer the second as well.

8. For TGM3, the I piece can kick off the wall to slot in place. For the other two games it will only rotate from the third tetrimino so you'll need to have a 2-block deep gap to make sure it can fit into your well on the right

9. The main reason I prefer ARS to SRS is simply that it just feels a gazillion times more intuitive and fun to play. SRS makes absolutely no sense to me, it just feels like a series of experimentations with button presses until you get pieces where you want them. I know that's not really what it is, but I can't wrap my head around it. ARS is so simple and elegant that I wouldn't want anything else anyway.

It's always been baffling to me why they added that in SRS. It's probably the the most "un-tetris" thing I have ever seen in a Tetris game.
    Basically the entire game is built around constant descision making in how to deal with what you're given. The game is extremely unique in the absurd amount of different situations it will throw at you, even if certain patterns can be recognized. Though being able to master the controls is one thing, the essence of the gameplay is basically deciding where you want to put the next piece, and the most basic way to directly increase the difficulty of the game is to decrease the time you have to make that descision. To me, that's everything Tetris is about at its core, and allowing infinite rotations to stall the game completely removes that aspect.

I guess that's the biggest reason to prefer ARS (or anything non-SRS really) over SRS, if you consider infinite rotations to be an implicit part of SRS.