How to avoid or otherwise overcome "peaking."

Thread in 'Discussion' started by z-flo, 11 Jul 2008.

1. Is something I would like to learn.

So basically, Chaos and I play intermittently over Wi-Fi or whenever we meet up and both of us have our DSes. A year ago, I could win without question (and without knowing how to T-Spin). Now, he's surpassed me. Without question. With both of us using T-Spins and Chaos occasionally setting up TSTs or more.

There's a chance that it could just be a matter of playing over and over, but at this point I'm worried that I won't be able to improve beyond my current level. Any advice?

2. I know this is OT, but I leave this Sunday for Hawaii. Does Sprint get good reception over there?

3. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

Simple, when you stop challenging yourself, you stop improving or improve at a very slow rate. How you will go about challenging yourself, that is up to you. I would suggest some form of forced improvement. For example, I increase the speed to a point where I can barely survive when I train in TGM-based modes. In terms of multiplayer, I suppose an equivalent might be to play regularly against someone hundreds of rating above you. Too bad there is no higher CPU, eh? [​IMG]

4. True... additionally, it seems like I won't get much farther without learning how to do certain setups (TST-TSD, etc.)... is there any simple or otherwise simplified way of learning these?

5. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

Other than playing against better players, your best bet would be to read up on them. Wiki time! [​IMG]

6. Chaos

Chaos Unregistered

be sure to bring your DS lol...

what hotel will you be staying at? Also, perhaps PM your number to z-flo and myself. And perhaps we can set up a day and hang out/play tetris.

7. The promotion people set us up at Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa.

8. Chaos

Chaos Unregistered

lol I replied to your PM asking about the hotel again, since I checked my PM before this thread. Well, I got your number, and I'll sned mine, so we can coordinate something.

9. jujube

jujube Unregistered

do more peeking [​IMG] it doesn't hurt to take a look at the top screen every once in a while, if you're not doing that already. also keep in mind that everyone is getting better, so you're improving if you can maintain your rating. i just wish i could go back 2 years and dominate [​IMG]

10. I would suggest looking up setups on the Wiki and paying a lot of attention to any gaps in your finesse.

It's hard to see your improvement based on the back of someone else though. Two years ago I was around the same level as Digital, if not better. Fact is that now he'd completely destroy me pretty much regardless of conditions. I've still been improving quite strongly and at a reasonably quick rate, it's just he's improved a lot faster and has got a lot better over the same frame of time. You need an inertial frame of reference to measure yourself properly.

11. K

K

Sorry to play the old dickhead, but this is a typical scrub problem. You have everything on hand to solve yourself "the problem", But your problem have a problem, and it is YOU. So naturally you find out the wrong questions.

- You don't need encouragment but a good kick on the ass. cause sometime, telling the sarcastic truth is a better way to raise motivation.
    - You can stay forever a scrub and be simply be happy with that, or you can start studying some stuff on this fucking wiki to change the facts that you are a scrub.

And your "peaking" point of view need a ladder.

my advise : every morning , looking yourself in the mirror, repeat 10 times : "I'm not a scrub, and i will prove this fucker i'm not"

no offence, gambatte. [​IMG]

12. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

I know, it is really frustrating, but people are not equal..I am supporting the same thing with DIGITAL.. [​IMG]
    My advice, continue, practice, suffer..And one day the truth will be released..

13. Well, that was humiliating. Thanks, Jago.

14. K

K

Moron ! Everybody see that you are retarded, but still you become good... [​IMG]
    Everybody can become a "grandMaster". it's a question of motivation, methodology, TRAINING (not playing) and time.

or maybe i can advise you a good book :
    [​IMG]

15. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I really like it !!
    I wonder...Which part of the image did you modified.. [​IMG]

16. K

K

tu veux que je te fasse un dessin du dessin ? [​IMG]

17. K

K

oh i forgot : z-flo of course my remark wasn't oriented to you specificaly,
    you asked at that moment, and i wasn't in a good mood at that moment too, but more for "all people" just sitting around and not really trying to understand some of the advanced concept.
    barely asking for how other do this or this, instead of how themselves they could achieve it.
    Of course some few tips can be given but they are mostly stupidly obvious.
    why i'm so harsh on this point ? because this is not an exact science. It mostly depend of each one personal goal :
    - casual play
    - serious hobby (me?)
    - life or death question => amnesia. (maybe for him it's even worst : master the universe) [​IMG]

I don't know how much time on your case it took to feel the "without question" change , but "without question" it will take time to recover the situation. And for that you will have to learn some new techs.
    and When i say "Learn" it doesn't mean just "read the wiki" !
    It's not because a moron read one time "Also sprach Zarathustra" that he will understand all the reflexion, and unfortunately this is the weakest point of hurry people.

So my advise is to find out your own method and try become better with all informations you have at hand.
    If you handle it like a forced homework ; end of the advise. don't lost your time, just forget about it and welcome back in the scrub world.
    if you have a real motivation, then thinking and compiling yourself some informations is a very very good assimilating exercice, than just trying to follow what other have already done.

bon voila j'ai fait une fois de plus mon vieux con, et je vous emmerde. [​IMG]

18. jujube

jujube Unregistered

i think z-flo will be fine. some people on the other hand...

19. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Avoid tetrisconcept like the plague!

20. I can perhaps relate to what he means though. Sometimes it's far easier to understand someone actually explaining it to you, rather than just shoving a technical page in my face.
    Quite often I'll be completely confused by Wikipedia pages on maths and sciency topics because they go into far too much detail than I actually want and I can't understand it as well.