Is this odd?

Thread in 'Discussion' started by TheBlueDragon, 17 Jul 2006.

1. TheBlueDragon

TheBlueDragon Unregistered

Most Tetris games use joysticks on the left side of the controller and buttons on the right. (well actually most games in general use that rule, beit a joystick or control pad). Contrary to this, I have found myself moving the pieces with my right hand and rotating pieces with my left. Now I am not left handed or anything, but it feels easier for me to play this way for some reason. Thing is when playing other games (on control pads, and even FPS') I have absolutely no problem..It's just when I use the keyboard to play arcade games and other emulations.

Am I the only one that does this? Controlling with my left hand feels almost outlandish for me but I think I could get used to it somehow. Should I switch? I know this post is sort of difficult to read but writing properly doesnt seem possible for me at the moment for some reason xD.

2. Guest

Guest Unregistered

Im left handed, but play all games right handed manly beacuse thats how I saw people playing. As for changing over, I not sure what to say, if its easyer to play like that then you should stick to it, although some keyboard layouts will make you play slower as it takes more time to move yout fingers.

Also did you used to be on Tetron2000?

- Jono

3. TheBlueDragon

TheBlueDragon Unregistered

Thanks for the response. No I haven't been on tetron2000, never played that I am afraid

4. I played TGM for years through emulation. I used the default ZiNc layout: arrow keys for movement and ASD for the 3 rotation buttons. I'd use my index and middle (so only 2) fingers to control all 3 buttons, which worked fine because you never need all 3 in a short time span.

When I bought TGM2 and built my own supergun/joystick, I chose to keep the standard arcade layout. This switches the role of the hands compared to my previous experience with keyboard. Also, 2 fingers for rotation was no longer an option as the buttons are more widely spaced. I had a HELL of a time adjusting, but eventually I was able to overcome the feeling of disorientation. I'd say it was mostly gone after the first week of intense play, though I'm still (has it been 6 months already?) not as comfortable with a stick as I am with a keyboard. To be fair, my zangi-moves are much better with a stick, but all the rudimentary skills I built up with TGM1 are still a little weaker on stick than keyboard.

5. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

I use a black Nintendo 64 controller through an adapter when I play emulated games or console-style games on the PC. I typically I play with movement on the right when on a keyboard but with movement on the left when on a controller. I've never really tried putting movement on the controller's C buttons.

But then, I suck compared to some players. Here's a recent result on my N64 pad:

[​IMG]

6. Guest

Guest Unregistered

Tepples I played Lock-jaw recently through a PS1 controller and my speed droped about 30bpm, although I find a controller 100% easyer to use hold.

- Jono

7. mat

mat

i have argued about this with ct and the guys to no end, suffice it to say i have thought in depth about it and you should all quit using those damn arrow keys. (wasd for movement jkl for rotation works quite nicely).

8. yo matt where have you been you hobo?

jago and i are racing to break the torikan in TAP...

neither of us can get to 500 yet but we can break 400 on the target time

that delicious M rank is so close.....

9. I've never understood using the wasd keys for movement. For emulators and any other game I play on the computer, I always set movement to esdf.

10. tepples

Because the pinky rests on the Ctrl key, not the Stop Your Game, Wait Five Seconds For The Virtual Memory To Swap The Game Out And The Desktop In, Get Slaughtered By Your Online Opponents, And Run The Risk Of Crashing When You Switch Back key.

11. I use the arrow keys simply beacuse the "up" key is centered where as the "letter" keys are off set, so it usally results in a missed key or two.

But thats just me............

- Jono

12. Huh? If I were using the wasd keys for movement, my pinky would be resting on the caps lock key, and when I use esdf, it rests on the a key, not way down 2 rows by the Windows key. (I think that's the one you were referring to.)

13. The only difference I can see between WASD and ESDF is how many keys you can hit at once.

My current Heboris setup is SZXC for movement, and BNM, for rotate and hold. I'm going to switch from this eventually because my keyboard doesn't like when I press C, comma, and B N or M all at the same time.

14. Strange, I like my hands far apart on a keyboard. Otherwise I cramp my wrists. A lot of people seem to have 'dense' key mappings though.

15. I must have super hands then, because my wrists never get cramped.

My Stepmania setup was even worse, UIOP with both hands hitting over 13 keys a second, now that's cramped, so maybe I'm just used to it...

16. tepples

From keyboard sharing in 2-player games perhaps?

17. Keyboards are notoriously bad at handling multiple simultaneous key presses... Everytime I've tried 2P on a keyboard I gave up in disgust.