I've figured out my biggest problem.

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Sully, 21 May 2006.

1. Sully

Sully Unregistered

Consistency. I just cannot play consistently, regardless of my opponent. I can't go too long without "beating myself," which hurts a lot when you're playing lower rated players. When losses like this occur against higher rated (better) players, I very well may have lost even had I played my best game- simply because they are, after all, better players.

When I play higher rated players, I almost always win enough matches for my rating to rise. Finding someone in the upper 7000s is my dream. I'll definitely lose more than I win, but I'll generally pull off enough wins to increase my rating. On several occasions, I've been in the lower 7000s and, played someone in the upper 7000s, and walked away around 7500. When I play lower rated opponents, I usually cannot maintain the win percentage necessary to increase my rating. Even against opponents rated ~1000 lower than me, I find a way to lose a match here and there, at which a single loss completely negates the 10 straight wins I pulled off. The rating system makes it so you absolutely have to go undefeated against lower rated players if you want to increase your rating. There is absolutely no room for inconsistent play. I almost wish that points were awarded based on a 2-out-of-3 system, but while this might help me with my inconsistency problems, it would probably hurt my ability to do well against better (higher rated) players.

I guess I just need to play more consistently and the rest will fall into place. Until then, I'm sure I'll continue to be a 7300ish player.

2. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Consistency comes with beating the CPU. Start by learning how to win 5 matches in a row against CPU level 4, then 3 matches in a row against level 5 (which is fast but not all that smart), then 5 matches in a row against level 5.

3. I have this problem, too. In my case it pretty clearly boils down to two things. First, misdrops -- this is pretty self-explanatory and I know how to fix it (in theory). This hurts no matter the opponent. But second, and more interestingly, I actually play differently against lower-ranked players. Against high-ranked players, I go for maybe one or two quick tetrises, then start clearing garbage like a madman, because I know they can finish me off in the blink of an eye. Against low-ranked players though, I usually try to hold off a bit longer -- I play more offensively, and by the time I decide to start clearing garbage, it's often too late. Have you considered that this might be happening to you, too? It takes more than just a slip-up or two to lose to someone significantly less skilled; maybe you're actually going into the game with a different mindset, and losing because of that.

4. I play slightly slower to avoid misdrops against low ranked opponent.

And I never stay longer then 10 wins.

5. So far i win 5 matches in a row level 4 easy, but when it comes to level 5 i win about 1 out of 10 [​IMG]

6. Phydeaux

Phydeaux Unregistered

You know what my biggest problem is?

Not spinning counter-clockwise.

7. cosmonaut

cosmonaut Unregistered

i started to go fairly in depth on the nintendo forum about this....

if your goal is rating then it may be advisable to screw beating somebody multiple times. i might stick around for 3 games max and then ditch the game. Invariably i can win the first 2 games, almost guaranteed, but after that... statistics and luck start catching up with me and i'll make mistakes and be beaten (or at least have very close matches).

This is particularly important in 4 person games. If you win 1 game (maybe 2) the others ultimately start targeting their garbage at you and even if they're all low 60xx it becomes a huge pain in the ass to combat their garbage and i often lose.... FIRST in a 4 player game, which destroys my rating. They usually don't catch on until after the 2nd game....

Usually i'm just going for # of wins to build the number of wins i have but if i'm building rating i DO NOT stick around for more than 2 games.

8. I only leave after one game if the player that is assigned to me is way lower in points. 1 loss can't made good by winning 10 games with big ratio differences. The other way around it's positive for you..

9. Nick15

Nick15 Unregistered

What's been working for me is quitting after playing someone with a lower ranking. Win or lose, you have a good chance of fucking up your rating if you're in the 7300's and yet you keep playing someone in even the upper 6000's.

Unless you can figure out a way to avoid misdrops. [​IMG]