L2Stack 1.96

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Quad, 5 Feb 2008.

1. jujube

jujube Unregistered

i can't get the game to run. i tried double clicking on the L2Stack app and got an error message, then i tried running it from the command line and that also didn't work. i'm using WindowsXP. any suggestions?

2. Okay have you checked the error.txt file (this file is created and contains an error message if any of the files the game depends on fails to load)?

If I'm unlucky it might just be incompatible with some versions of Windows XP. I've let a friend test it and he's using XP but he got no errors :/

3. jujube

jujube Unregistered

error.txt was never created. this is the error message i get:

"This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

4. Ah crap. This error has been haunting me for ages. It's an issue with programs compiled by Microsoft Visual C++ depending on certain DLL files. The problem is that I'm not quite sure which these files are :(

5. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

You could try opening the .exe file in an editor and looking for the characters "dll" in order to see what DLLs the program is trying to load.

6. I hope I've found a quick fix to the problem now, I simply recompiled the project with another compiler option according to this thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPo ... 5&SiteID=1

I'm not sure this will work though and I havent tested it on any other computer than my own right now.

Edit: I spoke too soon, this does not work. Now it just wont compile...

7. I gave up with the Microsoft Visual Studio failboat and compiled L2Stack with Mingw32 instead. So if it now does not work then my brain will explode.

8. mat

mat

well i didn't get an errors when i tried it last night--seems to be really awesome--but with some strange locking/ARE behaviour--i'll look into it tonight.

well done!

9. You should add a third rotation button. TGM games use A, B, and C for CCW, CW and CCW respectively. That way you can slam A quickly followed by C to make a 180 in a quick fashion, something I'm extremely used to myself.

It seems like a nice clone though, the timings feel a little bit off but it's hard to know for sure when I can't play the game like i'm used to.

10. Something I feel I should really make more of an effort to get into the habit of. I never use the 3rd rotation button.

11. Yeah the timings might be a bit off. I know it's difficult for you to tell the difference. I've been trying to compare my game to an emulated TGM1 but with so much imput lag in the emulated version its hard to tell.

12. jujube

jujube Unregistered

great, it works now. nice game [​IMG]

i noticed that the timings and grading system in death mode made it feel like TGM1 20G. maybe that's what you were going for though.

13. Yes it's just like master mode but in 20G. I didnt feel like calling it 20G though since that would be confusing for someone who's never played Tetris before... not that "Master" or "Death" would make much sense either :p

14. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

Ah, in that case, you might want to look on our wiki for the correct values.

http://www.tetrisconcept.com/wiki/index.php?title=TGM

15. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

But without an understanding of the event loop, an implementation will likely be full of off-by-one errors.

16. I've added support for a third rotation key to the game now.

As a matter of fact I've been using the same table that you have on the wiki listing the waits. But there may of course be some logic in my game which gives some inconsistent behaviour. I've already identified false game logic in a few spots which made the locking of the tetrominoes work in an unpredictable manner (not resetting lock delay when pieces spawn etc).

17. I've been working for a while on implementing netplay, this is not done yet but I have a development version with a working 1v1 mode. This latest public version does not include this though, but a lot of other changes. Maily graphics changes.

I think you will find the new line clear animation familiar... :)

Latest version: http://download.llbit.se/download.php?file=L2Stack

18. You're heading in the right direction then IMO.

Pretty much all the Tetris niches have been filled has far as fangames go, by Heboris and Lockjaw and the like.

A decent online multiplayer Tetris game with a good randomiser, customisable DAS and ARS/SRS rotation is the one thing the world really lacks.