My personal opinion of Tetris DS

Thread in 'Discussion' started by makalaka, 15 Aug 2006.

1. Sully

Sully Unregistered

I pretty much agree, but a 50 Tetris run really isn't that easy.

This mode does need a timer.

I'd also like to have access to a classic mode that plays like the original GB version.

Agree- Endless mode is shit. The score should have had at least one more decimal place, which would take the required max time to over 100 hours. 99,999,999 not saving in the records is extremely dumb, too.

I think Line Clear is a solid mode. It does require the use of t-spins to achieve high scores, which makes sense since Tetrising it out is so easy.

I've never played any other other multiplayer Tetris so I can't really comment on line clear animations and horizonatal piece movement.

I used to feel the same way about the garbage, but I believe it has to be this way. If everyone's garbage was the same, then the better player would ALWAYS win. Since the garbage is random, it makes the games more random but the better player will still win more games, ideally just enough to keep both players' ratings the same.

I feel the same- it's too random for me but I enjoy it casually.

I think Push mode is a grear addition. No garbage = even less randomosity, right? A true test of multiplayer skill.

It killed a few hours for me but I wouldn't have missed it if it was left out.

I like Mission Mode, and I spent quite a lot of time with it. It's the closest to sprint that the game has. The lack of T-spin missions is DUMB.

You don't have to play these modes. I personally dislike Tower but I enjoy Catch.

I agree here- there should be four ratings- one for each mode and a composite rating.

I don't think it matters, unless you're very good at always winning or losing the first match. It balances out in the end, whether it's losing points to a chump that you should have beaten or taking points from a stud that shouldn't have lost to you.

I think some single player modes are worth repeat play to improve scores.

2. In my opinion, Line Clear is just a shorter Marathon with the only difference being that you can start with blocks already in the field.

And I do know there are plenty of fans of the extra gameplay modes, and I'm not one of them. It bothers me that if I'm out somewhere, and I pull out Tetris DS, a majority of the stuff there doesn't appeal to me, and playing against Bowser all the time... isn't exactly my idea of a Nintendo-calibur game.

And I do agree about Push being a test of true skill, but the fact that there is only one rating sort of pushed me away from it.

As for line clearing animations, I do know that Tetrinet 2 and DTET both have 0 frame animations, so the game can keep moving as quickly as possible. What bothers me is that the developers of Tetris DS gave Mission and Push mode shorter animations but not Standard VS.

Also about the classic Tetris mode, I agree Nintendo should've included it, especially if Tetris Worlds did. I personally don't care about the mode myself but Nintendo definitely pissed off a lot of fans. :/

3. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

If you get a GBA Movie Player, you can play Tetramino, which should feel more like the GB or GBC version, except with faster DAS.

That is, until someone comes up with a pattern for continuous T-spin doubles.

It's the whole ARE and DAS debate, again.

In Lockjaw, how many lines do you get in "Vs. w/ Items"?

Push isn't a game of who's better at Tetris. It's a game of who can keep an Internet connection going longer because the system is incapable of detecting a draw.

4. Bander87

Bander87 Unregistered

I would enjoy an endless catch mode, personally. Catch mode is more intense IMO.

5. sihumchai

sihumchai Unregistered

You haven't tried Tetris 10 players before? It's awesome man, yelling and swearing just like in MKDS.

Hit's "X" for banana.. You hear 9 other people going, "AWWWw MAN!"

But on another note to Cultris players: How does the game know where to send the garbages?

6. I think that when you start a combo, the game checks which opponent has received the least garbage so far, and sends all garbage from the full combo to that opponent. I'm not positive -- in particular, I'm not sure whether all garbage from the full combo is sent to the same person, or if it's done on a line-by-line basis -- but it's something like that.

The line-clear animations in TDS are horrendous. You don't really notice them until you play a game with shorter animations. When I first picked up Cultris, and subsequently went back to TDS, that's what bugged me the most. I swear, for the first few games I would actually get bored waiting for the animation to finish.

7. Has that really happened to you more than once? I'd think it would be an extremely rare event. Push is my favorite mode in Tetris DS. It's a shame the CPU opponent sucks so bad at push, though, and that most players on WiFi aren't much competition either.

8. cdsboy

cdsboy Unregistered

despite all of that you forgot to mention how TDS is one of the only tetris games online that has a pretty big following.

9. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Play the Game Boy version to see a bigger line clear delay. Just be glad there isn't a 500 ms ARE on every tetromino.

10. line clear animation and lack of speedy das are my main complaints with this game. even so, as cdsboy said, it's the largest (and most competitive) online tetris game, and so remains my main focus. hopefully we'll see better online tetrises out soon (hint: www.tetrisonline.com).