my wireless router sucks?

Thread in 'Discussion' started by cosmonaut, 11 Jun 2006.

1. cosmonaut

cosmonaut Unregistered

Do you guys have any problems with disconnections during games?

my router seems to stop responding about once every two or three days.... and last night really pissed me the FUCK OFF. I was pushing 7500 and i was in the middle of stomping the last player in a 4 player match when... MY SCREEN FREEZES (this is standard protocol when i lose the connection) and i watch it for about 2 minutes and then it gives me the black screen about having disconnected.

One of the things that pisses me off the most is that when you "disconnect" it defaults you to last place in a 4 player game. So instead of dropping maybe 50 points for taking second place i lost 450 points down to 7070. Anyway, anyone else have this? it seems like my router recycles itself once a day or something (i don't know anything about this) because it seems to happen... and usually at the most critical of times.

cosmoNUT.

2. Yeah, that happens to me a lot, and i've had it twice today. The screen says something about "not being able to connect with this WIFI Id". Bugs the hell out of me on four player. Losing over 300 ranking points for something which you have no control over is a real pain in the arse, and generally puts me off playing online for a while.

I don't think the problem is my router though, as my signal seems perfectly fine (generally around 2/3 bars). Seems like something more on Nintendo's end of the connection.

3. cosmonaut

cosmonaut Unregistered

FUCK NINTENDO, SERIOUSLY.

so i'm crawling back to 7500 and i'm at about 7380 and i'm playing a 4 player game (with 3 sub-6k players) when i look up and 2 people are disconnected. then I GET DISCONNECTED. so now i'm at 6900. yeah, EAT A FAT DICK nintendo.

4. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

How does the game determine which player disconnected when the connection between two players times out? This is important to determine whether your opponent can "standby" you.

5. baconcow

baconcow Unregistered

Yeah, I lost a beautiful amount of points playing 4-player when I was at about 7100 playing a couple high 5000's and a low 6000. It shot me down around 6600 or so when it disconnected. I have the Nintendo wifi adapter and with software version 1.03 or earlier it always disconnected. Now with 1.04 it has only disconnected a couple times. I know this doesn't concern your issue, but if someone else disconnects using the Nintendo WIFI adapter, try updating the software. btw, there is some long stupid methodc of uninstalling and reinstalling the software posted on the wifi site. I don't know if it makes a difference or not to follow it.

6. I have a d-link AP. When i'm about 3 steps away from it my connection starts to drop till 2 bars. 5 steps away is connection lost. When i'm sitting on the couch with my back towards the AP i tend to play with my DS high up in the air even though it's kinda uncomfy..

7. Sully

Sully Unregistered

I use the USB connector. I've had very few problems (only a few random disconnects).

8. Karma (or whatever) seems to be balancing things out for me. A few days ago i was playing against people with much lower ratings than me and the phone rang and I had to answer it, so i lost (4th place). While watching the other players finish and mourning the points i was going to lose, the screen froze and a message told me my opponents had disconnected. As a result I was awarded 100 points for losing. If this happens a few more times maybe it'll make up for all the points that I've wrongly lost.