N-Blox

Thread in 'Discussion' started by makalaka, 8 May 2009.

1. Take a look:

http://www.neave.com/games/nblox/

" 2009 Tetris Holding, LLC. Tetris N-Blox developed by Paul Neave. Tetris, N-Blox and the Tetris trade dress are owned by Tetris Holding, LLC."

2. Crosspost from my Facebook status:

3. So maybe I missed something, but this make me somewhat happy. Considering this game doesn't follow the guideline, but is "endorsed" by TTC.

4. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 Resident Misinformer

THis was picked due to 2 reasons.

1) popularity
    2) similarity to gameboy tetris type a.

It's definitely more oldschool than blockstar was.

I hate it's controls, but you can just "play it like gameboy tetris" (which had no hard drop) reasonably.

Okay, just played it some more... was the original really this bad?

GB rotation (left preferring), with sega initial spawns. this means I pieces are much easier to move to the left than the right.
    gravity lock (when gravity forces a piece into a block, it locks instead).
    Uses keyboard typematic rate for auto-shift.
    Ignores input during line clear delay.
    Attempts to use gameboy scoring system.
    Speed seems to max out at level 10, at less than 1/2 G.
    CANNOT rotate while moving, because rotation during movement cancels auto-repeat for movement. ouch. This makes it worse than GB tetris.

5. This has happened before, but with BlockStar. I wanted to be an optimistic and think that perhaps there was some slim chance this could result in non-guideline but more polished and streamlined rulesets would be accepted. This recent adoption of a less polished game has clearly demonstrated that this is not the case.

The precedent set here is that guideline breaks are only acceptable when it means that the current audience of a previously existing third-party game can be easily imported to an "official" site. Rather than seek progress through the refinement of their own games, they seem to be content in annexing other populated games. BlockStar? Hangame? N-Blox? The Tetris Company seems to have taken a fancy to imperialism.

6. What implications does this have for blockbox? I think Deniax has asked and got a reply of "hurr durrr, you're too small."

7. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

I find this perfectly consistent with the handling of Sega-style games (TGM and SEGA AGES): they can break the guideline because their "classic" modes are grandfathered in.

But this does mean past misuse of a mark by a developer isn't an absolute bar to getting annexed. I wonder how imperialism can fit into free software like Emacs or KSirtet or Gnometris.

8. Muf

Muf

Actually it went like this:

Deniax: "Can I get a Tetris licence for the Dutch region?"
    TTC: "Sorry, but there are already games for the English region"

Clearly, they didn't even read and just replied with a canned response, as Deniax didn't ask for an English region licence.

9. jujube

jujube Unregistered

that does suck, but i can't say that it matters much as it's faster to tap a piece to the wall anyway.

i don't mind the memoryless randomizer. in fact i like it in games that don't reach 20G. but apparently the randomizer alone isn't enough to make the game challenging. level 10 gravity is tough but playable for average players, and easy for more experienced players. it really needs to get faster than that.

i'd be interested in playing a mode that had time-based speed increases rather than level-based, and of course the gravity needs to eventually get fast enough to kill anybody (after 30 minutes?). faster players could score more points before each gravity increase. players would have plenty of room to improve their scores as they got faster. you shouldn't have to reschedule your life to find time to better your score, as you do in N-blox.

10. With 0 lock delay? Yeah, I was going to make a time-based game like that on the hi-games engine.

11. nikki15

nikki15 Unregistered

i agree with this acusation