New Tetris games

Thread in 'Discussion' started by caffeine, 21 Jun 2006.

1. Two new upcoming games: <a href="http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=17685">THQ's untitled release for Xbox360</a> and <a href="http://ps2.ign.com/articles/712/712984p1.html">Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol.28 Tetris Collection</a>.

The first article sort of explains the little Nintendo DS Tetris mix up (THQ originally made a Tetris for the DS, but it was scrapped), but looks like they aquired rights for the Xbox360. Can THQ manage to get on our good side after their little fallout with Tetris Worlds? Probably not. I do hope they've learned something from TDS, though (perchance ACE, too, but that's wishful thinking). In any case, new Tetris games are always a good thing. The second game with the outrageously long title (maybe released as "Tetris Collection" outside Japan) looks like a rereleased and likely polished Bloxeed/Flashpoint/non-released old game. So we have a PS2 and an Xbox360 release coming up. Hopefully we'll learn more soon.

2. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

I'm unfamiliar with this "fallout". As far as I can tell, much of the reason that TW bombed related to the perception that SRS, with its lock delay reset for every movement of the tetromino, "actually breaks Tetris". But SRS is Henk's fault, not THQ's.

When do Wii get to have any fun? And will there be another Tetris brand PC release, or do I have to fill that gap with a fan game like I'm doing in that other thread?

3. I've played worlds on every platform but PS2, and every one of them had major design flaws, not just on the Tetris/SRS level. They were just poorly made, hardly tested (Henk's children beta tested it), and made under stressful circumstances (there's an old thread by a programmer explaining how problematic development was on some forum somewhere-- anyone remember where? that'd be good to put on the worlds wiki article). i played mostly pc and xbox live worlds, and i could go into all the details of how those games drove me crazy, but that's a whole nother paragraph. all in all, yeah worlds was the first to really break out of the survival paradigm (although really, next tetris was the first), but i think the game saw poor sales for more than just that reason.

i'm pretty sure we can expect something for wii, maybe a multi-platform release for whatever thq's doing on xbox360. i'd love to see something on pc, too, but really only if it's online. we can only hope.

btw, i heart lockjaw. been playing it nonstop. expect videos (and google video publicity) some time.

4. I have seen Mihara go by TGM-Wii on Tetris DS, so maybe TGM on Wii is a possibility, or maybe he just did that for no real reason at all.

As for THQ. They aren't making this game, they're just publishing it, unless there's something I'm missing, here.

5. Mihara was just doing that because he likes the Wii, and PS3 isn't doing much for him. I don't think it's meant to imply TGM is coming to Wii.

Oh, and Tetris Collection won't make it out of Japan almost certainly. It also has a new mode called "Tetris New Century" that uses the 1988 Sega Tetris graphics and gives it SRS gameplay with 3 previews and Hold. Seems quite out of place among all the Sega rules...

6. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

7. It is a PS2 game.