[offtopic] "You_Ain't_Gonna_Need_It" programming P

Thread in 'Discussion' started by herc, 4 Jun 2007.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Ain't_Gonna_Need_It

In software engineering, YAGNI, short for 'You Ain't Gonna Need It', suggests to programmers that they should not add functionality until it is necessary. According to software engineering experts[citation needed] who advocate the YAGNI approach, the temptation to write code that is not necessary at the moment, but might be in the future, has the following disadvantages:

The time spent is taken from adding, testing or improving necessary functionality.

The new features must be debugged, documented, and supported.

Any new feature imposes constraints on what can be done in the future, so an unnecessary feature now may prevent implementing a necessary feature later.

Until the feature is actually needed it is difficult to fully define what it should do and to test it. If the new feature is not properly defined and tested, the unnecessary feature may not work right, even if it eventually is needed.

It leads to code bloat; the software becomes larger and more complicated while providing no more useful functionality.

Unless there are specifications and some kind of revision control, the feature may not be known to programmers who could make use of it.

Adding the new feature may suggest other new features. If these new features are implemented as well, this may result in a snowball effect.

==========================

how much do i love consoles. you have ONE type of input, ONE type of hardware, ONE type of operating system etc.

it makes development so much easier.

my game suffers really bad from the gamepad and keyconfig stuff. it so ugly and complex...

another thing i really admire about the Wii is the user interface. man - those are the biggest buttons i ever saw for a gui. butt hell - is that well designed. just 2 or three klicks with the wiimote pointer and you are ready to play. and you wont miss that button, because it fills 3/4 of the screen [​IMG] !

so well designed, even my elderly men can use the wii.

why the hell does nintendo not release a SDK for free ? would be eager to experiment with programming a virtual console downloadable game.

just some random ramblings....

2. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Unless your company is too small for the console makers to recognize. In that case, you pretty much need a nearly-complete prototype running on Windows+OpenGL+mouse in order for a publisher to consider funding a port to Wii.

You could configure it to work with an Xbox 360 USB controller upon install, which Microsoft seems to recommend in the "Games for Windows" guideline, although I admit the 360 controller has a lousy D-pad.

In general, this is true. However, if you just want to play a Virtual Console game or GameCube Game Disc with a GameCube controller, you still have to use a Wii Remote and a sensor bar to press A those four times (once to wake the controller, once to dismiss the warning screen, once with aiming to choose Disc Channel, and once with aiming to choose Start.

Because the Atari 2600 video computer system was killed off by a glut of low-quality games, and Nintendo doesn't want that to happen to its platforms. Be glad you can still implement those big ass buttons on a DS.