Playing Tetris as a form of meditation?

Thread in 'Discussion' started by TheFellowJasper, 1 Jun 2015.

1. So hello everyone again, as with improving my gameplay I found that many times when I play I simply behave like if I meditate: I think about past things, what will happen and such things. Does anyone behaving similar and/or found it being good alternative to a classic form of meditation?

2. Muf

Muf

This works both ways. When I drift off into thought I play much better than when I focus on my game.

3. I know i use tetris as a way to unwind, but i have never really thought about it meditatively. i am going to try that next time, and report findings...

4. I've never really found a way to tap into it. It just happens. Normally when I play any game I can't help but think about other things whilst doing so but then suddenly I enter some form of zen and at that point everything just works out fine. It's only happened to me once in TGM3 when I first started playing it. I could only reach ~lv200 then all of a sudden I flew past it, got near 500 then snapped out of it. At that point I couldn't think straight and panicked myself to death.

It's happened to me a lot in games that require fast thinking/reflexes. I think my personal favourite zen moment was in Pac-Man CE DX+ as I ended up flying through thousands of ranks straight into (technically) first place on one of the map's time trails (would have been first yet the #1 spot is a hacked time of 0.01 seconds.)
    just looked back at the leaderboards for that mode and I'm now 12th on it. All 11 people above me with hacked times (it uploads their replay and none of them even finished the run.)

5. That's flow state and it is really enjoyable.

Last edited: 2 Jun 2015
    Qlex likes this.
  6. @PetitPrince : Thanks for nice article
    @Muf : Do compare your perfomance when focused vs when thinking about everything? Is difference big or rather small?
    @wasmachstdugern : I'm looking forward to see your feedback because I find this topic being pretty interesting for me
    Anyway, thanks for feedback

7. Muf

Muf

Focused play: S6 @ 09:56:51

Daydreaming: S8 @ 09:43:96

8. yes tetris can be a form of meditation, once you get fast enough that you dont THINK about anything while playing your mind is quiet. its relaxing and kinda feels like watching an uninteresting tv show. your mind is free to wonder to whatever it feels like thinking about and that is VERY healthy for you.
    try some meditation exercises out as well and see the difference for yourself :D

much love from topeka kansas

9. @Muf : Got to said, that's quite a difference
    @Entrayer : I'll try someday

10. most of the time I will just repeat one line of a joke to myself in my head over and over again, sometimes I'm conscious about it, sometimes it takes me off guard, it's almost like a mantra

11. I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain.

Muf likes this.