Poll : Blockbox : 20G rated games

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Amnesia, 15 Jul 2009.

?

Would you like to have 20G (TI style) rated games in Blockbox ?

Poll closed 22 Jul 2009.
  1. Don't add any 20G mode for rated games.

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  2. add it, but with 2 separated rating.

20 vote(s)
    74.1%
  3. add it, with mixed rating.

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

There is nothing better than a poll to solve this problem.
    You know how concerned I feel to the fact that only 0G skill is accepted for VS, so the 5 years me and some other players spent on TGM are useless against so many players on BB which kick our poor TGM ass at 170TPM in 0G..

After some good and intense matches, mainly against Baxter, I wanted to know if there is enough people who would like to play rated matches at 20G, it could be like this :

Choose between "rated" and "custom", like usually, and then a new sub menu with 2 games like :

-0G
    DAS and shift gravity customisable (exactly like it is today !)

-20G

Gravity : 5120
    ARE : 10
    ARE + line : 6
    DAS : 8 (imposed!)
    lock delay : 24*
    lineclear delay : 6
    Garbage : 30% (would be better at 50% I think)

* these setting are SHIRASE 0-100, because a lot of player use to play it and will recognize a reference in playing on blockbox. The idea is to allow weaker player to enjoy the game, so the lock delay as been increased from 18 to 24, (it can not be infinite, it is unplayable, locking 100% of the tetriminos is really tiring and boring) . 24 is really a good value after many games of testing. weak or safe player can let the game fall at 90 TPM, and stronger or more agressive player can push it to 160-170.

No need to add that these 20G games would be in Step reset and NOT in move reset.
    Once again, these evolutions won't change anything for pure 0G players !! but will add a Lot of fun for other I think.

I am opposed to the decision to make it customisable, because the option already exist, the advantage of this one would be to be directely set, and I know that the setting are enjoyable for many people.
    Later, maybe a separation like :
    20G ti
    20G ta

is possible.

EDIT : no Rosti, I am not trying to do my own 20G league...

Last edited: 15 Jul 2009
  2. I was thinking of a few small 20G tournaments when/if this place gets a tournament mod. Games modelling Death VS level 0 are also pretty fun, though for Death I think you'd have to enforce ARS.

3. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

Damn, there is still some faschist 0G people who reject it...

4. I would love the idea of 20G rated, however I die in Shirase 0-99 more often than I make it to the 100-199 section. But if you say the increased lock delay is good enough then I'll trust you.. I'll have to test and try it myself though to know if it feels good.

I say yes. I love 20G. Never played any 20G versus, probably because you must make a custom game.

5. I would love to have a rated 20G. I think last time it was brought up deniax didn't want to deal with having two ratings. I think Death speed 0-100 (with hold and 3 piece preview) would be better than Shirase 0-100, though. There is a reference to it in blockbox too (TA Death) and it is much more playable to new people. Shirase with step reset is pretty unplayable unless you've been playing 20G for a while. I would not want 20G settings that are WAY too hard for new people, or they wouldn't play it and we'd be stuck in the same place we are now. (The place where only about seven people actually play 20G)

Also I'm sorry I never got to playing 20G with you the other day, Amnesia.

Edit: Oh, wow. I just read Deniax's interview on harddrop. This poll is kind of important guys.

Edit 2: Since Deniax might read this. If you're going to introduce rated 20G, it'd be cool if you also added a slow 20G mode to get people used to it. The only reason I'm able to play Shirase even a little, is because of NDS_TGM's 20G mode. It seems to have the exact same timings as master, but it's fixed at 20G. I think something semi slow, but with the hold and 3 piece previews would be good. BeginnerTi!

Last edited: 15 Jul 2009
  6. Muf

Muf

Isn't your rating shared between 1P and 4P+items rated on Tetris DS? That seems to work fine, too.

7. I have a question: Since Deniax is planning to add combo support, should combos count in a 20G rated game? I've always liked combos for 20G and am curious what other people think.

8. I don't like combos ever. I think they reward crappy stacking far too much. It's actually better for you to make holes all over the place and then combo back down rather than stack properly.

9. Combos are nice. (you mean like in Cultris, right?)
    But when I think more of it, I don't know if I would want it to be default in 20G since I've never tried it. But for 0G, sure

10. orz

orz

yes yes yes

11. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

What is the hell with the % calculation ??! Where is the bug ?

12. Edo

Edo a.k.a. FSY

[​IMG]

The % calculation is correct; the problem is that some people have volted for multiple options.

13. Ai

Ai

Yes, 20G rated games should definitely be implemented in BB.

14. I'm very much in favor of 20g rated games. A seperated rating is probably better, since otherwise people with a high 0g rating might be discouraged from playing. I myself often find that I'm relatively good at 20g vs in comparison to 0g vs... so my rating would constantly drop and rise... so seperate ratings is probably best.

15. I would like it. I'm practising TA now @ blockbox. I want to get master, but i panic at 300-399. I got to 384 so far.

16. Deniax

Deniax Blockbox developer

Please note, while a separate rating is possible, it won't show in the playerlist at the top due to limitations on the games framework. But I can show it in the statistics window and when you join a 20G rated game!

17. Since im pretty new to the Tetris communities i get a bit lost in the language of different games. But from what i can gather i see no issue with adding more games. especially if the games get a separate rating. Im all for it.

18. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

Look at deniax, there is enough place !

[​IMG]

19. Deniax

Deniax Blockbox developer

Its not that there isn't enough space, "hacking" into the framework is a no-no

20. Muf

Muf

So use mixed ratings. A far more elegant solution either way imho.