RetroGamer - The 10 Best Tetris Games You've Never Heard Of

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Ex_Mosquito, 19 May 2009.

1. Thought this may be of interest to you guys. In this months UK Retrogamer magazine they have a feature on Tetris entitled "The 10 best Tetris games you've never heard of" I managed to get my mates early subscription copy off him and I've taken pics to show you guys. I would'nt get too upset with the list, though. It's written by the controversial Stuart Campbell. I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with the infamous Metal Slug feature and the Neo-Geo.com Forum reaction... Lets just say Stuart doesnt take criticism too well... http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196192&highlight=retrogamer

Im not sure if I should be posting this seeing that the issue hasnt officially hit the shelves yet, but what the hell, Enjoy!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark9/Retr ... eature.zip

Oh yeah I forgot to say, TetrisConcept.com got a name check!

2. Muf

Muf

Wow, a screenshot of colour_thief's Ti is now immortalised in thousands of UK gaming mags. Awesome.

3. lgb

lgb

4. I have not looked at the pictures yet, but I would just like to say that it's very easy to be critical of people who write about games. Often they are not fans of the game they are writing about and this simple fact will cause countless shitstorms in the fanboy communities. I know a guy who writes a lot of game reviews himself and often he's not got time to play the game more than a couple of hours before writing a review. It's just a job like any other and there's no great merit in nitpicking on small details. However, I admit I don't know much about this Stuart Campbell and exactly why he's become controversial. I'm just saying you shouldn't be too quick judging a person who's doing a very difficult job.

Edit: Wow, he did write a good Tetris article. He mentioned TetrisConcept too.

5. Ai

Ai

Thanks for sharing! Wow a screenshot of colour_thief's Ti!

??? Tetris With Card Captor Sakura - Eternal Heart FTW!!! ^^ ???

I know what I'm going to play this weekend! ^^

6. Waow, cool! :>

7. Can't argue with anything really in the article, or not on the Metal Slug scale at least. It seems to be pretty well-informed and a link to this site isn't a bad thing either.

Obviously TGM3 should be the #1 game, but that's not a massive deal given that you can't really play it. Hasn't posted that support is re-added to MAME for TGM2, and he refers to the games as TATGM2 and TTGM3TI rather than just TGM2/TAP or TGM3/TI (the first acronym being incorrect anyway, as it would be TTGM2TAP), but I'd imagine that's simply to try and give the article a bit more clarity to the reader. Also says there are five TGM games, which is technically true I guess, but TGM2 and TGM2+ can be pretty well considered as a single entity. Few other things to be picked up on (minor confusion I think about credit rolls and promotional exams), but otherwise a pretty good article, given it's written by someone who isn't a hard-core TGM player.

Could be tempted to buy an issue whenever it comes out.

8. I guess the author of the article calling me austistic, a crazy freak, and suggesting that I should be killed should probably get to me a little more. Regardless, decent article. However you'd think that he'd fucking give TGM3 credit for including Sakura mode which has the same gameplay minus the shit.

Anyway I'm probably just a bitter Tetris player or whatever and not really in a good mood so I should probably just not post.

9. Your critic is perfectly justified: calling a passionnate gamer an autistic freak isn't exactly the most flattering thing.

Also, I don't rember the Tetris on X68000 having lives... but then perhaps I mix up with Shimizu Tetris.

Otherwise, I want a pokmon tetris now [​IMG] .

10. I think you're getting ahead of yourself. Those comments were aimed at the likes of Jin8 and Kan. Not quite the level of anyone here yet.

Also, I'd not bothered checking out the multiplayer part of Sakura Tetris before, but the items he describes seem to be pretty well ripped from TGM.

11. I'm pretty impressed with the article. There's quite a bit of stuff that we don't have documented on the wiki in there, or at least that I've never seen. I didn't know that the official x68000 Tetris looked exactly like Famicom Tetris, or much about Tetris Battle Gaiden, or that there even was a Tetris game for the Master System.

Somehow I had a suspicion when I first started reading that Sakura Tetris would end up being #1 on the list. It's much more easily imported than TGM1, 2 or 3.

12. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 Resident Misinformer

He actually DID mention that TGM3 had sakura mode in it.

HOwever, he pegged Sakura as the first of it's kind, when flash point beat it by a MILE.

13. Yeah rtfa Kevin! [​IMG] He mentions Ti has Sakura mode. And the title is a bit misleading... It's less the 10 best obscure Tetris games, and more just the 10 most interesting obscure versions to talk about. The numbers don't actually mean much at all. Ti was "Best For: Ultimate Tetris", so he's pretty much on the same page as us.

I own 5 of the games mentioned! [​IMG] Still a nice read though. I even learned something... I'd always assumed that Super Tetris for Master System wasn't an official game in any way. The article prompted me to track it down. This revealed a game with music and basic gameplay from Sega's 1988 arcade Tetris so it seems quite probable they made it. Does anyone know anything about this game? Given the controversy surrounding the Mega Drive version's cancellation and the huge following Sega-derived tetris games still have, you'd think we'd have heard the story on this.

All in all I was pretty happy with the article. I cringed a little when he compared Zone to TAP, but honestly for casual players he's right, and it would be a little boring to start talking about the various kinds of lock delay and wallkicks that differentiate the games. The only 2 serious mistakes were already mentioned earlier in the thread. The first being that Eternal Heart nicked its gameplay straight from Sega's Flash Point. This is just trivia and really only matter because he stressed how original the concept was. The real shame is that he missed that TAP is currently in MAME. I'm sure many more would have tried it otherwise, so it's a bit of a missed opportunity to expand our player base.

All the games mentioned were interesting to read about... but here's my quick list of honourable mentions:

*any game with a coop mode*
    Doubles is sooo fun, and most people don't even know it exists. I thought this would definitely get picked for the article but I was wrong.

Sega Tetris (1999, Dreamcast)
    Possibly my favourite VS Tetris. Also a good pick because it's so, erm, accessible to Dreamcast owners.

Tetris 64 (1998, N64)
    Ok, so this game is mostly rubbish. But the Giga mode is pretty fun and the bio-sensor is worth a laugh.

Haha, it's a shame the records are so crappy! Can anyone see where he nicked it from? I can't seem to find the video.

14. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Leaving that out might have had something to do with not inducing people to infringe copyright by downloading the ROM set.

15. Well he did mention it was playable in a single older version of MAME.

16. Oh no, I am fully aware that he did mention it. However I guess what I'm getting at is that if the gameplay of Sakura mode is what sets Sakura Tetris apart, surely TGM3 could have fared 2nd place or 1st even given that it contains a very similar mode.

17. Whoa, they actually 'shopped two of our wiki pictures together. Good find Radish.

18. zarvok

zarvok Unregistered

Interesting, but the guy's writing is really annoying. You have to wonder how gems like

slipped past the editor. I'm pretty sure humans don't have to evolve any more before we are self aware...

19. Muf

Muf

The "joke" here is that he's implying that we're robots, not humans.