Stick modifications

Thread in 'Hardware' started by aperturegrillz, 10 Apr 2015.

1. Qlex and others have asked me about how I modded my HRAP3 so I thought I'd make a thread explaining what I've done to it.

First, after getting my supergun, I removed the USB PCB and added a neo geo port.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some dremel work made a hole in the plastic for the neo geo port, and a space to route the wires from the control panel to it. While I was at it, you can see I also cut out a big hole underneath the joystick so I could change the restrictor without taking the top panel off.

[​IMG]
    Crude, but effective.

[​IMG]
    The installed neo geo port.

[​IMG]
    I used a radioshack pad-per-hole board to connect the wires going to the buttons to the ones going to the neo geo port.

Now, I wanted to get the USB PCB working again, but without causing problems when using the neo geo port with my supergun. Kitaru had told me that when he tried directly connecting the button wires from his FSTE's USB PCB to the ones connected to the neo geo port, it made his JVS I/O board (for TGM3's Type-X) freak out and not work. So I decided to use diodes to isolate it, like so:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here's the pad-per-hole board with all the diodes in and some of the USB PCB input wires connected.

[​IMG]
    The completed rat's nest.

I put it all back together and it seems to work great with both USB and neo geo! So if anyone else was wondering how to add a neo geo port while maintaining USB functionality, this seems to be a solution.

Last edited: 28 Jun 2015
  2. Nice. Did you get a chance to test it against the JVS I/O? Was the USB PCB previously causing you problems for games aside from TI?

3. Unfortunately no, I haven't gotten to test it with JVS I/O yet, just TAP, which as you said didn't have problems even without diodes. I will update this thread once I test it.

4. Update: I finally got a chance to test this with a JVS I/O, and it works great!

Kitaru, Qlex and Archina like this.