[TAP PCB] A Good NTSC Video Converter?

Thread in 'Hardware' started by cleure, 23 Mar 2014.

1. I'm currently using a Weiya CV-04 RGBS to Composite/S-video board for playing arcade games. I have it hooked up so the Composite runs to my TV (Sony Trinitron), and the S-Video runs to a Phillips DVD-Recorder. This works really well for TGM1, but it's not working so well for TAP. I'm guessing it's because it runs at that funky framerate. When I use it in NTSC mode, there's a LOT of ghosting and dot-crawl. If I switch it to PAL, it looks fairly good, but that only gives me black-and-white picture.

So my question is, does anybody know of a decent video converter that I can use with TAP? Or is this potentially an issue with my TV? Any advice would be great.

Eventually, I'd like to get a couple Egrets or Astro Citys, but space is pretty limited for me right now.

2. Muf

Muf

I'd recommend the J-Rok, because it uses a Sony CXA2075 (even if J-Rok would like to hide that fact by scraping off the markings from the chips). Not sure if it will alleviate your ghosting woes, but it will definitely give you the clearest NTSC composite/s-video picture possible.

3. Back when I had a supergun, I used a J-rok for the video conversion. I can confirm TAP worked on several ordinary North American TVs, I never had any issues.