TDS WiFi: Wireless router or USB connector?

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Sully, 19 Jun 2006.

1. Sully

Sully Unregistered

I have the WiFi USB connector and I've had very few connectivity issues.

2. router

I get d/ced every once in a while, but I gain points instead of losing them

3. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

I use a router appliance only because using the Nintendo USB dongle would require buying a copy of Windows XP, which would be even more expensive.

4. sihumchai

sihumchai Unregistered

I'm using router, but I seem to be running into the 86420 errors alot, and still don't know how to fix it.

I'm using a WRT54G v5 router(linksys).

Any of you ran into this(86420) error before? Have you fixed it?

5. Phydeaux

Phydeaux Unregistered

That's odd that you're running into that. It's a fairly solid router. By default out of the box they're set to "g" only. Did you make sure it's broadcasting to b?

6. sihumchai

sihumchai Unregistered

It's broadcasting to both.

Out of the box, I had no problems playing online(friendcode too), but when the 86420 errors started coming in, I tinkered with the admin settings like opening ports for the TCP/UDP as stated in the NiWiFi support page.

OK, it helped a *little*, but I still get the same probs. I've even tried to assign a IP to my DS, and dmz it, but still it doesn't work. (suggested by admins over the NiWiFi support forums)

86420 error says that it's something to do with the TCP/UDP being blocked. However after releasing my firewall(software and router), and opening up ports(that includes DMZ, which open ALL ports), but it still doesn't work.

When I did a scan from dslreports.com, they said my TCP/UDP was filtered, and I have no idea on how to get it UN-filtered. Any help? [​IMG]

(Now my router is totally not accepting any connections from worldwide, tho I haven't tried in awhile cuz I was so pissed from waiting, and battery draining)

I hope I can get Wii connected to *this* router when it's out.. It better..

7. [/quote]Wireless Router

USB Connector[/quote]

Wireless Access Point.

Already had one for my laptop and if i wouldn't have i'd still choose it since it's cheaper. But a cheap wifi card with the right drivers will also do ...

8. Phydeaux

Phydeaux Unregistered

No other devices that could be overpowering the router (i.e., computer with wifi sharing on, connected through ethernet, or a neighbor)

Reflash the firmware as a last resort?

9. sihumchai

sihumchai Unregistered

My CPU is cabled to the router. WEP'ed, and I only use the router for DS.

I was thinking about reflashing the router, but I'm not too sure if that will resolve the problem.

*sigh*

That's for the suggestion Phydeaux, will try to fix it when I got the time, and will report if it works [​IMG]

10. Phydeaux

Phydeaux Unregistered

That's just odd that it'd be flaky like that. I've had nothing but success out of these linksys.

Maybe you got "the" bad one. [​IMG]

11. i have both, but i currently use the router, as my computer doesn't need to be on.

12. I've got a D-Link DWL-G700AP and have few problems really with disconnects. The points I lose balance out with some that I undeservingly win. Apparently the USB thingummyjig has problems with viruses as it leaves the computer on the internet and exposed to attacks, though the main reason I don't have one is that my PC uses Windows 98SE and I can't be bothered buying XP.

13. sihumchai

sihumchai Unregistered

Yeah, I read around the internet that WRT54G V5] is the bad one. But ONLY to the modding community :S (less ram/memory on-board, thus can't use big 3rd-party firmwares). But I don't see how this causes the 86420 errors.

Maybe you're right, re-flash with latest firmware MIGHT do the trick.

14. If your ISP is filtering TCP/UDP, re-flashing your router's firmware is not going to do a lot of good.

15. sihumchai

sihumchai Unregistered

You may be right there Caithness.. because I am using wireless broadband.

CRAP.. I hope Wii works on it tho.