Top Players...

Thread in 'Discussion' started by TGM-Liem, 23 May 2006.

1. TGM-Liem

TGM-Liem Unregistered

Whats the key to get to 8000 on TDS

Especially Holic, what does he do so well? Is there a recording of him somewhere?

Does any know what technique those 8000 guys use? Do they back to back triple tspin as fast as they can?...

There's chance of messing up more if you go for those tpins... Well i guess I'm just not at that level yet.

My technique is fast building Tetris'.. simple. But I guess I have to work on fast builing Tspins if I want to get to the next level. [​IMG]

2. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

I'm stuck around the 7000s, and I've just learned how to exploit T-spin doubles. The trouble with TDS is that I can't watch my opponent because neither the Nintendo DS nor TDS lets the player record a match.

3. X-Perts

X-Perts Unregistered

I don't play against really good people that often, so I wouldn't know the best. However, I do know T-spins. Thanks to the_tool, here is a gif with a few examples of t-spin madness.

[​IMG]
    And a slight comparison of garbage:

T-Spin normal- sends 0 line

T-Spin single - sends 2 lines

T-Spin double - sends 4 lines

T-Spin triple - Sends 6 lines

1line clear - sends 0 lines

2line clear - sends 1 line

3line clear - sends 2 lines

4line clear - sends 4 lines

BacktoBack - Sends an additional line

4. jjdb210

jjdb210 Unregistered

I have yet to make it there (although I did hit 7800 at one point), and really, the only thing that matters is wins, and avoiding dumb losses to people with 6000. If you can maintain wins over most people, you'll do fine.

5. tepples

So how do I not lose 15-3 against someone who's only 400 points ahead of me?

6. i wouldn't think too far into it. really, in the broad sense, they're just stronger tetris players. perhaps all the death/shirase conditioning tuned their skills, but when you get down to it, they're simply better players. you don't need to look at the other player's screen to improve. when you play, focus on beating the opponent-- every game. you should figure it out eventually.

7. TGM-Liem

TGM-Liem Unregistered

The thing is as soon as I get close to that 8000... I always make a mistake. I guess you're right.. I just got to focus and not lose to those that are much lower ranked.. argh.. its frustating though [​IMG]

8. Shirase

Shirase Unregistered

In my experience I just focus on clearing lines and beating my opponent. I think most people get intimidated when they play someone higher than them and they worry about that throughout the match.

9. cosmonaut

cosmonaut Unregistered

throughout the day i fluctuate between 6800 and 7400... and the closer i get to 7400 the more i start to overthink and be too cautious about my piece positioning and i don't just let it flow. Between 7000 and 7200 i just go balls to the wall for some reason, reckless abandon, and i don't even have to think, they just LAND. I think it's nearly impossible to get beyond 7400 in 4 player though. . . . .

next time i get that high (i'm at about 7200 again) i will switch to 2 player.... we'll see.

some of you 2-player players are damn good.

10. Shirase

Shirase Unregistered

IMO 2-player is more relatively relaxing than 4 player. I don't think I could win a 4 player game to save my soul

11. Nick15

Nick15 Unregistered

Similarlly, I think some people get overconfident when playing someone lower than them, and cause them to underthink. Lord knows I've had my "I'm 7300, he's 6400, he'll be a push ove-- OMG!!" moments.

12. tepples

Stronger as in practice will help me, or stronger as in practice won't help me? There are some people who never become able to bench-press 400 pounds (180 kg) no matter how hard or for how many years they train.

But will I figure it out before Nintendo permanently pulls the plug on the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection features of Tetris DS?

13. Nick15

Nick15 Unregistered

Stronger as in practice will help me, or stronger as in practice won't help me? There are some people who never become able to bench-press 400 pounds (180 kg) no matter how hard or for how many years they train.

I think there are certain fundemental limits to our brain capabilities. I mean that's why savants are savants, and that normal people aren't. I doubt no matter how much we can try, we'll never be able to be a savant.

14. I am strongly opposed to this view of "other people are just born better." Every ounce of skill I have I worked for, and I'd wager the same is true for stronger players.

15. good questions.

unless you have some sort of handicap which puts you at a disadvantage, you can play at the top level. you can improve in this game everyday-- i still do, and i've played for... well lets not get into that. the most important thing is to keep improving. you have to constantly put effort into playing better. you have to really try every game you play. i know of so many players who just quit pushing themselves and remain stagnant. "practice practice practice," yes-- but remember there's a difference between "practicing" everyday and "just playing" everyday. you really have to try.

if you can find no other way to improve, and you've played and played and still can't improve, pm me and i'll see if i can help you personally.

16. tepples

Like not being Rain Man when the tetrominoes start raining down and the waters of garbage start rising?

Until Nintendo flips the Big Red Switch on Tetris DS WFC. Ask any fan of Frequency for PS2, whose matchmaking servers Sony shut off.

17. from what i've gathered-- none of the top players in tds are autistic savants. [​IMG]