Why such a bug in TAP ??

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Amnesia, 13 Apr 2008.

1. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

A lot of player are aware about it..It is my case ofcourse and I perfectly anticipate it..

But now I just want to understand WHY ??

WHY ARIKA did this choice ?? And let it in TI as well ?

2. Most of the rotation is asymmetrical, and favours movement to the right over movement to the left, as with the I piece.

I think it's just because the wallkick permissions are the same for each piece.

3. First off, I wouldn't call it a bug.

It seems annoying at first, but it is the only solution to a simple wall kick system.

I explained how the TAP rotation and wall kick works in this post:

http://www.tetrisconcept.com/forum/view ... 0055#20055

The first wall kick check is always to the left. In wich case, the J pieces will jump into that empty column. If Arika had chosen the first wall kick check to the right, the L piece would jump into the empty column.

A more complex wall kick system may have worked, such that J pieces checking the wall kick to the right and L piece to the left. But I guess it didn't work. Priority goes to the least annoying game feeling, or is limited to the development platform.

4. Fixed your post. It always tests moving right first, then moving left, then failing. I presume that in Ti, it does the floorkick tests after testing to move left.

I have proposed a system where it first kicks to the right if you rotate right (with B), and first kicks to the left if you rotate left (with A or C). The rotation system that I am developing will use this as its basic principal.

5. K

K

c'mon Amnesia ? you really don't know about this ?

want a kick in your butt to refresh memories ? [​IMG]

6. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

I am not stupid jago..

I really well know this asymetric problem and I well play in exploiting it..

But I just don't really understand why this difference exists in the 2 configurations I drew on the 1st post..

7. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

In each of the two configurations, both kicking right and kicking left are valid. But TGM always prefers to kick right if it can, rather than left.

8. jujube

jujube Unregistered

i think Amnesia is just questioning the logic of asymmetry, and i have to agree with him here. you could keep the same number and extremity of kick tests for J and L (keeping the level of difficulty the same) but mirror the x coordinates.

9. jujube

jujube Unregistered

10. Sure, it might be easier to understand. All I'm saying though is that the current implementation is considered a feature not a bug.

BTW, apparently this asymmetry with the L and J is known in Japan as "Mihara's conspiracy".

11. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 Resident Misinformer

they could have very easily made it prefer to kick right if the overlapping square is on te left, and left if the overlapping square is on the right. And it would have been more intuitive that way, and it' swhat I wold have done had I did the rotation system.

however, because all pieces that kick spawn one space to LEFT of center in tgm1, the decision was made to make all pieces that kick prefer to kick right.

12. Seriously? THAT'S what "Mihara's Conspiracy" is?! Jeez, I was expecting something more exciting.

13. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

Ouf..at least jujube understand my point of view..
    By the way, thank you everybody for the numerical details..
    I am not an expert in matrix programmation of tetris..I am a player who "feel" the game the most of time..But I agree it is very beneficial to learn a bit about the algorythms of the matrixes management.

I agree, and more : I find this move very nice and class..

But a bit more often, I would prefer to perform the "impossible move" I wanted to do on the first post..

PS for c_t : If you still have my video with my hands with the stick on Heboris, look the 25st second, and you will see the thing I hate with the "J" !!

14. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

If you want something exciting, look up Rogers' Conspiracy.

15. johnberhenry

johnberhenry Unregistered

16. johnberhenry

johnberhenry Unregistered

17. Edo

Edo a.k.a. FSY

I realise some of the content in this thread no longer works, but hopefully those of you who can't remember what was said, and those of you who weren't with us at the time, will able to fill in the blanks intelligently.

I thought this would interest you: http://www.sendspace.com/file/j9jva5

It's a video of Tetris X for playstation, which I've just started documenting for the wiki. I was quite surprised to discover that not only does it appear to have wallkicks (or at least wallkick-like behaviour), but it's also possible to choose whether to kick left or right!

18. it would be great if in tgm4, you could choose right or left before playing

19. If/When I make "Reitromino", I plan to make a "mirror" mode that mirrors the orientations and kick tables.