Wiki spam

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Pineapple, 22 Dec 2006.

1. This is getting a bit fucking ridiculous now. I suggest that you disable editing from unregistered people.

2. We get more proper anonymous contributions than spammers. I say it's worth the maintenance hassle to keep it open... at least until things get out of hand. Let's hope they don't.

3. Most of those are caffeine being too lazy to log in...

4. "disable editing from unregistered people."

not happening.

5. Cubicz

Cubicz Unregistered

disable editing from unregisterds defeats the purpose of the wiki, imo. It's not huge, and if someone writes a short how to on how to check recent changes ill do it every couple of days, there aren't that many.

I know a bit about wikis, but the recent changes page befuddles me.

6. Ok, fair enough. Until then, do I just continue to blank it on sight?

7. i agree: logging in is always pain in the ... . what about someone from far far away just wanting to add a link to his beloved tetris clone? he will run away faster than light if presented with a login - screen.

isnt there a captcha plugin or such for the mediawiki, too?

8. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Visual CAPTCHA is even worse: it discourages users on mobile phones who are alternating between playing some rare port of Tetris only available in one country and contributing its details to the wiki.

9. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Blocked. Expiry set at one year (typical ISP commitment duration) in case the spammer gets kicked off the ISP and replaced by an honest customer.