Win a TAP PCB for 1 year!

Thread in 'Discussion' started by K, 16 Jan 2015.

1. K

K

Probably nobody noticed this last year, I just wanted to remind people about this :
    http://tetrisconcept.net/threads/death-toll-2014.2337/page-5#post-53672

. This year i will simply lend my original Tetris the Absolute Grandmaster 2+ JAMMA Board to the Death toll winner until the end of the year 2015.

2015/02/20 update !
    Ok so after some discussions on IRC we settled to change the rules so i can be more fair for people who don't have that much time than just bruteforcing the game 7hours a day for a whole week.
    - highest cumulative level score from five consecutive games in the same stream session.

- must be done on stream, with a webcam at least.
    - Texmaster and Mame are allowed.
    - same stream session mean that you cannot wait too long between each game (15min max)
    - in case of a tie, highest game level win
    - if still a tie, highest level is Gm then second highest level game and so on.
    - if still a tie, several players performed only Gm (hem), then lowest cumulative time of all game win.
    - if still a tie, then the best naked horse mask dance performed live on stream win. Deal with it.

To prevent cheating with pre-recorded game you will have to do the following on stream :
    - MAME : enter those specific initial "777" with hidden ranking code (press A+B+C at game over). Done at least 1 time out of the 5 games
    - Texmaster : create a new profile with this same name "777".

Ranking table spreadsheet :
    Code:
    +-----+-------------+-------+---------+
    |Rank | Player      | Total | Stream  |
    |  1  | JAGO        |  4853 |  LINK   |
    |  2  | Qlex        |  4278 |  LINK   |
    |  3  | Kitaru      |  4044 |  LINK   |
    |  4  | Kevin       |  3799 |  LINK   |
    |  5  | Steadshot   |  3452 |         |
    |  6  | Redlof_b    |  1759 |  LINK   |
    |  7  | Muf         |  1722 |         |
    |  8  | Burbruee    |  1268 |         |
    |  9  | Zerstorung  |   871 |  LINK   |
    | 10  | Gerson      |   790 |  LINK   |
    | 11  | TGGC        |   787 |  LINK   |
    | 12  | rain        |   623 |         |
    | 13  | wag         |   522 |  LINK   |
    | 14  | Soulvirtue  |   497 |         |

Last edited: 6 Apr 2015
    Meroigo and Muf like this.
  2. Fuck fuck fuck I better get training D:

No idea how I'd beat the likes of c_t, Kevin or COL :s

3. Let me make my stick work again and everyone's dead meat.

(๑・ิω・ิ)っ

4. Pretty sure all of us who own the game are DQd. :p

5. Bring it on, my friend...

[​IMG]

6. K

K

Yo,
    actually anybody can participate. Even you Kevin. But the one who already own the game will have to designate a person* who will receive the game. preferably someone who have a real interest to play with the original ;)

ShmupMame only, and all games must be performed on stream.

7. Really? That seems kind of against the usual principles of the Carnival of Death in that the scores are open on any playform for the duration of the carnival - then adding in the extra requirement of people having hardware/internet good enough to stream seems a little harsh. If anything it presumably works in my favour given I can do that, but I'd rather win or lose because of performance than because people can't stream or don't have Windows.

I was planning on using Texmaster with a blank .sav so that I could keep easy track and proof of how many M's I got.

8. K

K

If everybody is ok with Texmaster then i'm fine but i will not pass on Stream.

9. You mean people will have to stream? You will not back down on that?

10. K

K

I will not.

11. Would like to propose a change to this, in terms of the judgement of the winner. Personally I feel that highest M count is a kind of awkward and unfair thing to aim for, largely because I feel the winner will be as much defined by whoever has the time to play the most, rather than who can actually hit M more consistently than others. In particular I'd love a shot at having a TAP PCB for 9 months or so (I would get a supergun asap and play the shit out of it), but I'm kind of unmotivated to train because having a full-time job is a pretty big disadvantage against people who have their weekdays free. I can train and play all I want during the carnival week, but I can't ever see myself winning if someone has 50 extra hours to play during the week.

I think "best record set during that week" would be a better option, for a number of reasons:
    1. It fundamentally rewards skill over pure hours played, but the race should be close enough for people to still want to play and stream as many hours as possible. I feel this achieves the aim of 'get as many people streaming TAP as possible' with a far more meaningful target.
    2. For most of the people who can consistently get M grades and would be in the running in the first place, Gm runs are possible and so in terms of excluding or including people it's basically a neutral change. Anyone who could win under the current rule could probably still win under my proposed one.
    3. It's a much easier record to post proof for. Your best game from a week of streaming is something that can be later cut into a single highlight and posted as a 7 minute video, or linked as a timestamp for the Twitch VOD. Proving 100+ M grades is a lot more problematic.
    4. Partly because of point 3, disputes are less likely and easier to resolve. If one player had 147 M grades and another had 151 M grades and there was dispute over how accurate those numbers were and who definitely won, then I wouldn't want to be the person who had to adjudicate and go through 100 hours of stream footage to verify the numbers.
    5. It means every game will be played to the death - being cynical under the current system. once you've reached level 501 you should just suicide and get onto the next M grade attempt.
    6. Personally as a competition I just feel it'll be a little bit more exciting to see
    Also it means I can do things properly and play MAME TAP instead of sodding Texmaster because I'm not as bothered about keeping decent track of exactly how many M grades I have :p. I'd have far less objection to your original rule about people having to play TAP rather than Nullpomino/Texmaster if there wasn't a need to keep track of high numbers of M runs.

Ultimately it's your board jago, and you're free to set up whatever conditions you want around who you want to give it to and I'll do my best whatever the rules, but this would be my two cents. Also to ward claims of conflict of interest I'd point out that I'm OK at pooping out M grades, whilst Gm is something I've only ever done once, so I feel if anything my suggestion reduces my own chances of potentially winning it :p

Last edited: 17 Feb 2015
    Muf likes this.
  12. When is it going to happen ? Will keyboard scores be allowed (as long as it is played on shmupmame and streamed) ?

13. It'll be running from 25th March (3/25 in US calendar format, which represents the torikan time in Death) for a week.

And I hope so, else I'm fucked :sowsuser:

14. K

K

Ok so after some discussions on IRC we settled to change the rules so i can be more fair for people who don't have that much time than just bruteforcing the game 7hours a day for a whole week.
    - highest cumulative level score from five consecutive games

- must be done on stream, with a webcam at least.
    - Texmaster and Mame are allowed.
    - in case of a tie, highest game level win
    - if still a tie, highest level is Gm then second highest level game and so on.
    - if still a tie, several players performed only Gm (hem), then lowest cumulative time of all game win.
    - if still a tie, then the best naked horse mask dance performed live on stream win. Deal with it.

Muf, Qlex and clincher like this.
  15. Questions :

- When do we choose those five consecutive games? We can have as many different series of five games as we want or do we need to announce?
    - Is a webcam mandatory if I have my crappy capture device as of now? Hoping we don't get to the naked horse mask dance of course

16. I ain't jago, but from the context of the discussion yesterday I would say that you can retrospectively pick your five best games, you don't have to pre-empt them beforehand. The point was to try and encourage people to play (and stream) as much as possible, but making it so that someone who was only available for say 2 hours all week would still have a feasible chance of winning if they played well enough, which was not really the case with the previous rules.

How do you stream your capture if not through OBS or something equivalent? I don't get how having a good or bad capture card affects your ability to use a webcam or not; they're independent devices.

Last edited: 20 Feb 2015
    Qlex likes this.
  17. I'm saying this since I don't have a webcam right now, so if it's a requirement to have a webcam anyway I would like to know

18. I imagine it is, unless there's some way of demonstrably proving it's not pre-recorded from the stream. Otherwise you've got a month where you can generate as many games as you want, pick a very solid five games and then stream the old video with audio that's pretending you're doing it live. Not that I would really expect anyone on here would do that, but it's still a potential source of contention if people are going to get bitchy.

You can get a decent webcam for £40 - I'd imagine you can get a non-decent webcam for much less than that again.

Qlex likes this.
  19. For Texmaster at least, one possibility is to generate a random string of characters for everyone to use as a username right when this event begins. I think this is what they do for SpeedRunsLive races.

I wouldn't expect many people to go the Texmaster route though...

20. You can enter initials in Death by holding A+B+C after a game ends (to display the unused Internet Ranking password), so we could randomly generate a 3 character string to enter into either game.