Best Tetris player from TC.

Thread in 'Discussion' started by GFish, 22 May 2008.

1. Muf

Muf

Tepples, we all know how people around here get their TGM fix, so don't make it seem like it's something that's almost impossible to get ahold of. Quite the contrary in fact, I believe almost all of the recent people that joined, like mushroom, Zaphod, sjoecool, Ai, have all picked up TGM series games or clones of those. The TGM series is, with good reason, by far the most popular Tetris game on TetrisConcept.

Case in point: we have leaderboards for:

TGM1

TAP

TGM1 clones (Texmaster, Heboris)

TAP clones (Texmaster, Heboris)

Ti clones (Texmaster, Heboris)

Tetris DS (Wi-Fi)

LockJaw

Cubestorm

That's 62%, over half of all leaderboards. Even more if I counted each game and its clones separately. Why don't we have a leaderboard for Tetris Worlds, a game you can buy pretty much anywhere? Cause it's boring and unchallenging and at best a mediocre Tetris game. I didn't count Rich Nagel's Tetris Classic leaderboard, cause the only one with records in it is...Rich Nagel. No offense btw Rich [​IMG]

2. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

Ok, I understand your reaction..

And I apologize if somebody felt any offence for that..

I will try anyway, because I have the pretention to create a calculation method which will OBJECTIVELY take in consideration every parameter..

And no, it is not harder to get the first place in DEATH than in Master, try to beat the M 8:14 of jago, or the current Death Gm of c_t, then tell me which one is harder..

But it is ok, I memorize that, maybe DEATH should be = to MASTER..

I just put a little advantage for Master because the Ms and Gms rank are much harder for the Master mode..

3. I respect you Amnesia, but it is impossible for this exercise to be objective... the very question it tries to answer is vague and subjective. Just because there are numbers and calculation involved doesn't make it actually mean something.

4. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

it was just a proposition, the only one thing which is subjective, is if I try this calculation with my OWN coefficients, that was why I wanted to share this stude to involve every great playerd here..

It is like the chess elo, one day, some greats player decided to create a complex calculation method to sort every players..I just proposed my idea in a similar way..

Anyway, I will try, and show you the result..I won't be banished for that.. [​IMG]

5. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

Eliminating subjectivity is not possible even with all of our efforts combined. We all have our own subjective bias and I don't believe subjectivity, no matter how much support it has, can result in objectivity. The end result of pooling our subjective viewpoints will at best produce a strengthened subjective viewpoint.

I'm not too familiar with the Chess ELO system but I'd say it's far easier to create a rating system for players playing under the same rules than it is to create one for players playing under a million different rulesets.

6. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Which is part of why TTC has been tightening the Tetris Guideline, and why Lockjaw still doesn't have a high-score table.

7. "Eliminating subjectivity is not possible even with all of our efforts combined."

There's this thing that people do sometimes to find out who's the best. I think it's called... MORTAL KOMBAT!!!! (Also known as a tournament.) Heboris Mini would foster to pretty much all the players at TC if you ask me.

Now you may say that this would only really cover multiplayer and not the type of Tetris you think Tetris should be. Well, I just disagree with you.

8. But the difference is that Elo is just a rating system for chess. I mean, with chess the better player is the one who beats everyone else. It's just one game. It's not like they made a rating system for Chess, but also combining it with Go and Draughts and Football and Badminton etc etc

My point is you can't put numbers to the games to try and evaluate them next to each other.

9. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

Even if multiplayer did cover all the bases of skill, we'd still run into the same problem of having varied rulesets. You either force everyone to play under one same ruleset or you force them to play under the same ruleset for all relevant rulesets. In the end, we'd essentially have a subjective debate of what multiplayer rulesets matter more than others and whatnot, which isn't quite different than the dilemma we have now with singleplayer.

10. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

Ok ok ..That is fine I understand.. [​IMG]

I agree that I thought a bit too fast with this argument..

11. yeah that's one of the reasons why barely anybody is still playing hebo netplay. everybody likes to play with their own settings and it keeps changing from player to player, so you have to constantly adapt your playstyle over and over.

12. It would totally work with entirely independent settings and a race to x lines, with a y second handicap determined by the player's relative records. The games would be split pretty evenly, it would encourage you to play your best always, and you'd be playing by your own rules.

You could even have it to that it auto handicaps based on the best performances of the session.

EDIT

Err, sorry a race to x lines with a time handicap would leave one player waiting around a lot with a big skill difference. So you'd instead have to do a line attack in x amount of time.

13. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

Yeah, if we only had one goal, like line attack, it would be a lot easier to have a rating system encompass all players. It's like the 40 Lines leaderboard. The goal is to reach 40 lines using whatever tool you have at your disposal. What we are doing though is weeding out arbitrary options that disadvantage the player. You can choose to make it harder on yourself but if you want to get high up there, you will have to find the fastest settings.

There's nothing wrong with intentionally wanting that type of gameplay. However, in the context of an open-ended multiplayer game, the advantage will go to the player who will exploit the best options. This is clearly a problem if we wanted to judge games based on arbitrary options. For example, a person playing on 20G will be disadvantaged against a person playing 0G in a garbage multiplayer game. If you want to have a better chance of winning, don't play with 20G. There's just no room for arbitrary challenges.

14. That pretty much completely brings everyone to 0G SRS though.

15. I wasn't proposing a universal method of comparison. I was proposing a way to make heboris versus fun and interesting for everyone.

16. I think ultimately people just prefer different challenges, which is why it's hard to please everyone. Some prefer Death Mode, others prefer LockJaw 40 lines. The split is pretty evident from the leaderboards. Quite a lot of people only play one of the games.

Personally a VS mode I'd like to see would be something that is like Death (or Shirase) VS, just without the garbage being sent. Some sort of mode that tests high-speed survival, with players being on the defensive rather than the offensive.

Or maybe a mode where clearing lines doesn't send garbage, but instead slowly chips away at DAS, ARE and Lock Delay timings.

17. If we're to add arbitrary rules to the mix when comparing TC players, then the title of this thread should be something like "Best TGM player from TC." If you want to find "Best Tetris player" then let the player choose his rules. Mini allows for it. Know what I mean?

18. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

That's the tricky part. I'm sure many of us have our own ideas of what makes an ideal Tetris game. Any setting can be considered arbitrary, even the ones that allow for fast play. I'm not sure you can pit two really different ideals together and expect there to be balance. This only proves that a certain ideal is better for a certain challenge, in this case, a multiplayer faceoff.

19. Yeah, for example a pretty big deciding rule would be if t-spins are off or on? Quadra players might suggest cascade gravity. How random is the garbage?

There are a lot of other arbitrary aspects that can affect the outcome other than personal DAS and rotation settings.

20. K

K

i vote for ghetto...

Err does your table take consideration of TASing ? lol