For you Xbox 360 owners - Tetris Splash on XBLA.. now

Thread in 'Discussion' started by PacoDG, 3 Oct 2007.

1. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

2. i've heard really good things about those, but that one's used. and hell, if you're going to pay that much for a keyboard, then get this one

3. Phydeaux

Phydeaux Unregistered

I never see any of you on Splash. Can we has a gamertag repository?

4. Muf

Muf

I've got two, one beige, and one black. Got them for free from a friend who got a bunch of them cause the company he worked at was ditching them in favour of new hardware. Whenever someone even so much as mentions the words "DELL keyboard" I see if I can get one off them. They're among the best mechanical switch keyboards, and they have windows keys.
    18K Gold plated connectors? 130? That's just gimmicky stuff for people with too much money, akin to some so-called "audiophile" sound sets that any audio expert wouldn't go near with a 10ft pole. My advice: go round some second hand shops, try the keyboards out, if you find a good one, buy it and a spare one for you-never-know; you'll be set for life (those things never break) and it'll cost you 20 max.

5. Lol. Maybe. It has been a couple of years since I've tried to play with a keyboard. I still think that I would do better with a arcade stick vs. a keyboard.

My name in here is my name on XBL. I'm on pretty much every day for at least an hour or so.

6. I was referring to how those mechanical keyboards on the website were priced in the hundreds. While there's no way I'd pay that much money for any keyboard, I can see how that 7G board would have an advantage with latency, ghosting, feel, etc. anyhow, i'm pretty sure the scorpius m10 rivals those old IBM M models / Dell Quietkeys.

7. kiwibonga

kiwibonga Unregistered

I tried that, but for some reason I can't control anything... ',' is apparently the start button, but none of the other keys do anything... Do I need a japanese keymap to use it, or is it some other problem?

8. You don't need a japanese keymap to use it so it must be another problem. Are you playing heboris original or the expansion?

9. Muf

Muf

I've never liked IBM's buckling spring switches. They feel odd, and make this "toink" sound. I have one (an IBM Model M), but I don't use it. That Scorpius M10 looks like it's probably just as good as a Dell AT101W. The build looks nearly identical, it's just a bit smaller (and probably lighter; the AT101W can be wielded as an almost-lethal weapon).

The default keymap should be:

Z = A

X = B

C = C

Arrows = Joystick

If something doesn't work, try deleting your CONFIG.SAV.

10. kiwibonga

kiwibonga Unregistered

Thanks, that fixed it! [​IMG]

11. Monte, if you have not seen it becfore I must point you to this thread.

12. Pfft... all the old fashioned keyboards.

What you want is one of these. Or one of these.

I'd be scared of breaking it if I slam my hands down in frustration though.

13. that Optimus Tactus concept looks painful!

14. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

I prefer to feel pressed keys, if not clickier keys. I'd want the Optimus Tactus just for the cool factor though. Could probably put it to other uses.

15. I think my main problem would be the fact that I usually vent frustration by whacking my keyboard when I screw up decent Tetris runs.

I'm also known to spill drinks.

16. evybabee

evybabee Unregistered

hey guys-- i'm noobish i guess. to TC, at least...

i'm pretty screwed because i'm really used to using the xbox controller and analog stick now. i'd love to be able to play Heboris, TGM or similar games but i am pretty horrible at keyboard tetris. i might do better if i had this tho http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/77ba/

after watching all the videos and reading all you guys talk about it, i'm actually pretty obsessed about getting TGM somehow. i'd be willling to even buy the stand-up arcade game, even tho a giant machine like that would definitely clash with the decor of my apartment. i did play a lot of arcade tetris growing up, so it would have some oldschool appeal playing on a joystick again. does anyone know what the best option would be for me? would it be possible and more economical to get these games on a japanese xbox or some kind of emulator maybe? any help you could offer is appreciated. i'm jonesing pretty bad. BIG mode looks like so much fun to me!

thanks [​IMG]

17. real arcade setups i believe go into the thousands and are complicated to set up (i believe). if i were you, i'd play heboris or something. a lot of guys will tell you to use an arcade stick for that (one that goes to the pc). just keep in mind that while some input systems are easier to learn for tetris than others, expect a learning curb for the arcade stick just as much as for the keyboard, or your cellphone, or whatever. you may want to just learn with the keyboard at first, (which is good to know how to play tetris on anyway), and if you still play on a regular basis say in a month, then that might be a better time to start investing into some tetris gear.

i plan to eventually purchase an arcade stick, but knowing the frustrations of learning a new input system, i'm holding off until i'm confident enough even playing tgm3-style with a keyboard.

18. The Arcade Stick of choice here on TC seems to be the Virtua Stick High Grade ("VSHG" for short). It's a PlayStation 3 stick but since it uses regular USB it works perfectly with computers aswell. It's expensive, but it's also very high quality.

Just search this forum for "VSHG" if you want to know more about it.

19. mat

mat

if you're accustomed to playing on the xbox controller, there's no reason not to just use that for heboris. i enjoy playing with the VSHG joystick a lot more than the keyboard, makes it feel much more like a "game", but i still play on both all the time. keyboard is convenient, i like being able to play a decent game regardless of where i am or what equipment i have available.