[Herc's Guideline] unified scoring scheme ! (?)

Thread in 'Discussion' started by herc, 2 Jun 2007.

1. I don't know. The main speed increase is in entry delay (makes more sense to call it that than ARE). But I've definitely seen fall speeds approaching GB Tetris (1/4g, maybe 1/3g). DAS delay is constant, and 1g. I don't know if it has lock delay, but ot feels like it does, at times.

Just tried lms, and hit 207k before my hands stqarted hating me. I've been spoiled too much by holding a real game pad. I'll try again after I download VBA, so I don't have to look at that pokey little screen or stress my hands out...

2. Air Gear

Air Gear Unregistered

As a random thought I had...originally you had quadratic as the idea, but evidently people think that specific version grew too quickly. I figure...since quadratic is good but people don't seem to like it, I may as well suggest a quadratic alternative. It goes like base score * n(n+1)/2 where n is the number of lines scored; you may recognize those as triangular numbers. If not, it's sort of like this:

Assume, say, 10 points for a line base.

Then a double is (1+2)*10 = 30 points,

a triple is (1+2+3)*10 = 60 points,

a tetris (1+2+3+4)*10 = 100 points,

and keep going.

I guess that'll blunt cascades a bit; a 10-line match would be 550 in that case.

3. Ok... let's throw something together:

Single=100

Double=300

Triple=500

Quad=700

Definitions:

hit = each block that makes one or more lines after it has landed.

step = in cascade-like gravity systems, each set of line clears after gravity settles the blocks. If there are no lines made from the cascade, or if gravity isn't cascade-like, then the hit contains only 1 step.

Each step has base score 200n-100.

Combo multiplier starts at 1.0 for the first hit, and increases by 0.2 if the last hit was a single and 0.4 if it was more than a single.

Cascade multiplier starts at 1.0 for the first step, and then increases by 0.2 if the previous cascare step was a single and 0.4 if it was more than a single.

Back-to-back multiplier is 1.5 if the first step of the current hit was a quad, and the first step of the previous hit was also a quad.

Combo and back-to-back multipliers are checked at the start of the hit, and apply throughout the hit. Cascade multiplier is calculated aftrer each step, and the value applies only to the next step of the hit.

4. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Bricklayer used a system like this, and so did freepuzzlearena Tetanus.

So would an I tetromino, which contains four blocks, be four hits?

Multipliers per step just encourage the S and Z cascade.

Either way, we have lots of multipliers. Can you give us some examples of full calculations?

5. as i am thinking about the scoring problem........

wouldnt be the most PURE TETRIS be with just points for released cubes? no other multipliers and stuff. just 10 points for each removed cube.

to still favor tetrises over single line clear one could introduce a time penalty for a line clear: if you clear a single line, you get a line clear animation for lets say 500 ms and CANNOT move your actual play piece.

(in fact, thats already the case with tgm and many other tetrises, but for example in gravytris you get a new active piece in the very moment the last piece has settled)

for a tetris, the penalty reduces to 100ms.

so the player would naturally feel that he looses a lot of time doing single line clears and will automatically try to set up tetrises or large cascades.

what do you think about this PURE TETRIS ?

6. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

That's called "40 Lines Mode".

That's called "40 Lines Mode with Guideline Line Clear Delay".

7. Ehh, no. Went into casual lingo there for a moment. That should be "each block that makes..."

As for examples, sure. The ideas is that you get 3 multipliers and a base value, then you apply it all together and get a score for that step.

Double, Double, Double, Double (4 hit combo):

First hit is 300 for being a double, as all multipliers are 1. After the first doube, the combo multiplier goes to 1.4. The second double is 300*1.4 = 420, and the multiplier is pushed to 1.8. Third double is 540 (pushing it to 2.2), annd fourth is 660. After the next block fails to make a line, the combo multiplier resets to 1. This sequence scores a total of 1920.

"Dirty South Style" (3 hit combo, getting a quad with each hit):

First hit is 700 for the quad. This pushes combo to 1.4 and b2b to 1.5. Next hit is base value 700, with both multipliers applied, so it is 700*1.4*1.5 = 1470. This keeps b2b at 1.5 and pushes combo to 1.8. Next hit is 700*1.8*1.5 = 1890. Total value for the sequence is 4060.

More examples (mostly cascades) tomorrow; right now, I need sleep...