*Mr. J* ?? wtf.

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Guest, 24 May 2006.

1. Guest

Guest Unregistered

so all afternoon i've been bumping into *mr. j*.

he began with a rating of about 7920 and we SCHOOLED him and knocked him out of the game first (i won), my rating vaulted to about 7300 and his fell to 7600.

since i'm doing a rating experiment i quit the game.

then two games later i bumped into him again and his rating was BACK at 7900. This time he took third. And i quit again, he was down to 7700.

I bumped into him once more several games later and he was already back to 7900. I watched the guy play and he's nothing spectacular at all, he nearly lost the 3rd game (but he finally won)... so what gives, it takes FOREVER to get rating points when you're in the mid 7000's, how does he recover so quickly?

2. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Could he be playing against scrubs (low rank players to whom your DS will connect if there are no "worthy" players online) or even shills (novices who agree to connect at a certain time and become part of the scrub pool) between battles against you?

3. Simple. He has an Action Replay or some other means to back up his savegames. Every time he loses, he just reverts to an old save. The ratings aren't stored on Nintendo's servers, or anything...they're just right there on the card.

"Cheating" the rating system is stupid on so many levels, though. Ratings are a tool for measuring your own progress, or for comparing yourself to others. If you falsify your rating, you can't really do either. What's the point?

4. Guest

Guest Unregistered

can i take this card out of the ds? i kind of just ruined my ds and have to buy a new one and i'm hoping that all of my info is salvageable, my top screen stopped working.....

5. cosmonaut

cosmonaut Unregistered

nevermind, i got a new ds and everything is perfect!

i am at least 4 tetraminos faster per minute, my old one was a piece of shit that i threw toooooo much, so now i have one for throwing and one for playing.

6. K

K

This is becoming really weird... if this kind of "assisted cheat" can pass through the NWC "security" and influence the ranking point system calculation, i don't expect much time to see appearing something worst...

Bye bye TDS Online Ranking system [​IMG]
    nevertheless, good sales performances for this feature [​IMG]

7. Guest

Guest Unregistered

just an update:

i ran into mr. j a couple more times throughout the night, i made sure to pile junk on him and he lost first every time and was shot down to like 76xx. And every time he definitely came back with 7916.

he's a really <i>really</i> mediocre player.

8. Shirase

Shirase Unregistered

I don't think it can really get worse than is now. I mean we have an I block cheater who can be beaten fairly easily. Now we have someone who's basically stuck at the 7900 level. Again, a terrible player. Hey, free points basically.

Further proof that Nintendo didn't put any thought into the rating system.