Tournament: Tetris Party Tournament (Wii)

Thread in 'Competition' started by lee n, 19 Oct 2008.

1. Final tournament announcement:

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release ... 73547.html

1200 Wii points for the top 100. Sounds like we'll only be playing against other tournament participants from within our region. I hope that doesn't mean we'll have a hard time finding people to connect to, because the tournament participation has been so low that it does make you wonder. Better not wait till the end of the tournament and hope you'll be able to connect to someone, or you might not get a chance to compete at all.

At least if we're only playing against other tourney goers, it will probably be mainly the players rated 7000+ that bother to compete, so it should make for a better competition than the normal wi-fi. I hope that makes it next-to-impossible to max out your rating so that there isn't a tie for first place, although I guess that still might happen if they allow cheating.

2. Calling it now: this tournament's going to be a laggy, disorganized, disconnect-filled mess. (I believe the technical term would be "boondoggle".)

3. durga2112

durga2112 Unregistered

Some people are funny. I played against one guy tonight and was about to beat him when he disconnected. My next match also ended up being against him, so what did he do? Stack his pieces straight up the middle and commit suicide in about 10 seconds, and then the same thing again in a third match! Thanks for the free points, guy. [​IMG]

4. Heh, the worst I faced was a guy who was soft dropping all his pieces. For the most part, the competition seemed considerably better than normal though, because I was losing about 1 in 10 games vs. 1 in 100 on the normal wi-fi. There were some funny Miis though, like a guy with big alien eyes and another guy with microscopic facial features.

5. m:)

m:) Unregistered

almost every other match was against the same person for me, and he was a little better then me. i still went up a few hundred points in an hour.

so you still win if you get dc'd rite? those are the matches where the matchmaking is canceled pops up before the points?

6. durga2112

durga2112 Unregistered

I wonder if I faced any of you guys. I was on from about 22:00 to 23:00 EST last night. My Mii has glasses and short, dark hair and a goatee. I'll see if I can get a picture up tonight - it would be cool if we could know at least some of the people we're facing.

7. m:)

i was on around then. i'll post my mii later tonight when i get home.

8. Yeah, I was on last night from 9-11 ET, and I remember someone with a goatee. My Mii is pretty plain, so probably not very memorable.

Edit: Just added my Mii.

[​IMG]

9. So what's the round looking like so far? Better than we expected? I haven't been able to play yet thanks to exams =(

10. Fewer intentional disconnects than expected, but more unintentional desyncs.

11. durga2112

durga2112 Unregistered

I had quite a few disconnects while I was playing. It got so bad for a while that I started snapping pictures of Miis that disconnected so that I could recognize them if they came up again and avoid playing them. [​IMG]

12. jujube

jujube Unregistered

wow that's hardcore. along with making a list of miis of tc'ers, there should be a list of dc'ers.

13. Heh heh, I was thinking of recording some of my games and then doing a youtube video of the DCers to publicly shame them. So far I'm not sure whether the DCs are due to lag or due to jerks though, because there usually seems to be lag before it happens. I just tried playing a 6-player item battle and got disconnected, and normally if a person leaves mid-game it just shows "out" in their well and everyone else keeps playing. I'm thinking they just don't have enough bandwidth for this game, especially with the tournament happening.

14. m:)

and mii

[​IMG]

15. durga2112

durga2112 Unregistered

I'm prettyy sure I played you a few times - I recognize the smirk. [​IMG]

16. m:)

i should have recognized you. [​IMG] did we have a couple matches?

tonight i'm laying off the beers until after i play.

17. durga2112

durga2112 Unregistered

Here's mine (apologies for the garbage quality - this was taken with my cell phone's camera):

[​IMG]

I'm on right now, BTW, and will be for as long as I am able to tonight.

18. m:)

i've seen you a few times, gg's!

19. Jeff

Jeff Unregistered

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h67/a ... hoto-1.jpg

tbh, i think i just got smoked by you half an hour ago...
    I'm the chinese guy with glasses. It's pretty non-memorable

just started playing...don't even know if i'm going to bother with top 100, 3600 wii points should last a while already..