TETRISCONCEPT : Great Tournament !

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Amnesia, 3 Aug 2008.

1. jujube

jujube Unregistered

90% hole change garbage would probably work fine in 0g. in 20g, especially in contest 3, i think people would have a tough time with it and the games would be decided in the first 5-10 seconds. i vote for 90%/50%/30% in contests 1/2/3 respectively.

2. In addition to fixing the garbage bug, I think we ought to decide about bravos. Bravos currently double the garbage count, which I think is far too much. Jujube suggested reducing the bonus to 2 garbage lines, which sounds about right to me.

Also, test out my little change to the Net_Standard plugin: http://kitaru.ath.cx/arika/net_fixed.c. I haven't noticed any issues since I commented out the Combo bonus in the garbage calculation. (Well, combos won't work if you try to turn them on. I guess that can be considered an issue in this quick fix.) Disabling combos doesn't disable combo garbage calculation. Instead, it seems it is supposed to disable combos globally throughout Heboris Mini. I'll poke around at it some more later.

EDIT: Blink reports that the garbage issue is still around with Net_Fixed. I'll take another look.

3. yeah the problem is still in that one, i've had it happen several times ....... but good news!!! i think i may have found the problem. *crosses fingers* hasn't happened yet in 30 games , gooing to test further and upload here when i'm done.

4. Why bonus anything for bravos? If we're bonusing bravos, why not bonus hurdles while we're at it? [​IMG]

5. nm, problem remains..... no fix from me haha booooooooo

6. TGM1 and TAP will also double the garbage, which is where that convention probably comes from. For what it's worth, TGM3 does not reward bravos at all... So a bravo tetris will still only send 4 lines.

7. Muf

Muf

Actually, that should send a missile flying into the opponent's stack, breaking off pieces and creating holes in the stack.

8. Perhaps it should just raise the stack without adding solid garbage, haha.

9. jujube

jujube Unregistered

if ct says TGM3 doesn't send extra garbage for bravos, and everyone in the tournament so far is using Ti-classic or Ti-world, then maybe there should be no bravo bonus.

10. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

So like a block bomb? If you want Tetrinet, you know where to find it.

11. Muf

Muf

Dig up your copy of Sega Tetris for the Dreamcast, play a round of versus and you'll know what I mean. [​IMG]

12. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

Regarding the current poll of lock delay reset, I believe it's only fair to have both ARS and SRS use step reset.

SRS with move reset allows for insane mobility and slower play. ARS with move reset cannot take full advantage of the slower play because of the limited mobility. If both use step reset, both will be subjected to the same speed limitations.

13. jujube

jujube Unregistered

i don't think step reset would work as intended with SRS, because of the basic rotations of the pieces. situations can come up where the piece may be rotated such that part of the piece is lower than the lowest point in the previous position, while the 3x3 rotation box stays on the same level. correct me if i'm wrong, but the lock delay will not reset in this situation. i think it would be more fair to have everyone play with move reset while limiting the number of movements and rotations. if that isn't enough, the lock delay could be made shorter.

what about entry reset? is that an option in heboris?

14. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

I agree. Entry reset is my ideal choice as well.

15. jujube

jujube Unregistered

i see you can turn off "lock reset" in heboris. does that force entry reset?

16. jujube

jujube Unregistered

thanks for the topic split caffeine.

so if you did this, you would have twice the step reset delay to get the I to the right wall? maybe i'm not understanding correctly.

17. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 Resident Misinformer

That is correct. it is intended to give you enough time to use your rotation to make the piece climb over an obstacle and continue on towards the gap, as intended by the rotation system, instead of it sticking halfway there (as is common in tetris new century), yet not allow infinity.

18. jujube

jujube Unregistered

that sounds tempting, but i'm not sure if it would give a good balance. it seems a little too easy on the SRS players, who should have to stack in a way that allows for smooth finesse without any awkward 3- or 4-rotation placements, just like the ARS players have to. personally i don't want any handicap [​IMG]

19. Edo

Edo a.k.a. FSY

Let's analyze the problem:

1. SRS by default has move reset => all rotations and movements reset lock delay => placements can be made at a leisurely pace.

2. SRS has very powerful floor-kicks which also reset lock delay => tetrominoes can be moved freely over obstacles => it is much easier to recover from garbage or instability.

3. SRS, due to the way its basic rotation was designed, requires at least 1 floor-kick for the pieces L, J, S, Z, T, in order for them to be rotated out of their spawn orientation.

Firstly, move reset has got to go. By switching off move reset, we go from having all movements and all rotations resetting lock delay, to no movements and only rotations which cause a floor-kick resetting lock delay. That's a definite improvement. (btw, just to clarify: switching off LOCK RESET in the options defaults to step reset, not entry reset).

Unfortunately, problem 1 is not completely solved because players can still abuse floor-kicks to buy themselves time, and the floor-kicks can't be completely disabled because of problem 3. However, if we limit the number of rotations, we also limit the number of floor-kicks. This will also solve problem 2.

jujube, seeing as you're the only 20G SRS player in this tournament, how would you feel about the following options:
    Code:
    LOCK RESET   OFF
    ROTATE LIMIT  3
    MOVE LIMIT   INFINITE
    ENABLE WALLKICK ON
    3 rotations should be enough for SRS because of the spawn orientations, but if you still think that's a little harsh, you could try it with 4.

20. Muf

Muf

Wait a minute, doesn't IRS basically solve that problem?