Records: [TGM1]

Thread in 'Competition' started by Amnesia, 22 May 2007.

1. I'll be watching you... :sneaky:

2. K

K

[​IMG]

and then i miserably failed
    FUU******

3. My god!

We've got some competition going!

4. Hm, okay!

A few things to say (don't have much time. Also, block = tetromino) :

I realize you are not using the DAS system, since it's not as effective in the NES version I think it's normal to do so =) But it will be of some help in the long run for the tetrominoes not to get stuck somewhere you didn't foresee. For the DAS, you just hold left or right before the tetromino appears on the field. If you want to put something on column 10, you just hold right. Column 9, you hold right until it reaches that point, then push left once. Very useful system!

Now for the near-20G part : You should definitely use IRS (Initial Rotation System). Hold one of the rotation buttons before the block actually appears, and it will pop in the field in this position. It's really useful since the tetromino might get stuck if it appears in a neutral position, but it won't thanks to that technique. Maybe not the absolute must-use, but it will get you out of a lot of bad situations!

Last but most important : The rotation system of the line is messed up. You should make several tries, but this doesn't change the fact that you need all the info to know whether or not you can rotate the piece.

Try and see this all the time when you see a line piece. You can even see it for yourself in the beginning of a game when the speed is nonexistant :

[​IMG]

Here are a lot of the situations you might encounter (no rotation = unable to rotate), from the awesome website Kitaru mentionned

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And so on... It's on lesson 7 : Understanding the range of the movement, and much more interesting stuff is adressed here so be sure to look it up as many times as possible =)

I think a lot of these problems will be corrected by practising, but by using these moves specifically and thinking about the different situations you might encounter

The main thing is that you have to conceptualize the way your tetromino is going to take (i.e. will it get blocked here? If that's the case, I can simply hold A and right for the entire duration of the move, and that will do the trick). It implies forward thinking, so you will need to see what you can do in specific situations

if you have trouble visualizing everything (especially for the line piece), just remember that column 5 should be higher than the rest, and columns 8 9 10 should form a steep slope (I'm not good with English lol)

5. Muf

Muf

I would like to add to that that as you start to get used to IRS you may at first find yourself using IRS on the I-piece (aka line piece) more and more often. Eventually, it will get you in a lot of trouble. Together with the S and Z pieces, the I piece is one of the few that will usually spawn more mobile in its neutral state than when spawned rotated (using IRS). Because it lands on its flat side, it will skip over most holes and bumps, whereas vertically, it will catch every little ridge in your stack and get stuck. This probably sounds quite logical when I put it like that but it's a mistake I've made countless times before correcting my behaviour (and I've seen a lot of rookies do it). So, heed my warning! :D

6. Thanks Qlex! Your English is better than my French! :)

Thanks Muf! I'll try not to abuse the IRS.

It sounds like IRS should be reserved for J, L, and T pieces - is that correct?

7. For now you can focus on that, yes, but nothing prevents you from using it with the z and s pieces if you need to rotate them.

Also, not sure if you know this, but you will hear an acute, sharp sound if the IRS does work.

8. I didn't! Very interesting. I'll try and play some tonight if I can manage it.

9. [​IMG]

10. I don't see the game screen. Could you go back and get it please?

EDIT : On a more serious note, I realized that the Pier21 has a recording device for all 4 TGM1 arcade machines. Does this mean everything gets recorded?

11. OK, just let me one more year, ok ? :D

Nope, Atarô (Pier's owner) records only the Masters and sometimes the 2 Credits day plays (many players, more chance to get interesting videos). I am not even sure if my perf of yesterday was recorded, gotta check !

12. Good. Because I honestly think that we could see some more Western TGM1 videos. I'm striving to see lots of videos of people of my level, and I also think analyzing your own plays makes you level up significantly.

13. You can also ask the staff to set things up so you can record a session. That's how I got my current TGM1 PR video. :D

14. Tom

Tom

[​IMG]

oh yeah :biggrin:

15. Nice! We've got new PBs from non-GM people, that's good to see people are getting into it =)

16. K

K

why everything is always turning to shit :facepalm:
    [​IMG]

17. K

K

fuck !

[​IMG]

18. Man that's epic. Congrats!
    Video?

19. 20G's thread is over there.