The Introduction Thread

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Ai, 30 May 2008.

1. To me, the allure of TGM is besting yourself and proving that you can be like the gods of the series. I do not consider myself a great player (yet). It's been almost 10 years since I first dreamt about being the first TAP Death GM in the West, and I still haven't done it. I'm currently aiming for TAP Master GM, but right now I'm experimenting with different training habits instead of just grinding out games until probability works in my favour.

It took AGDQ for me to actually make an account and start posting. I've actually been a silent member of this community for a long time now. I've "been here" since TC.com. I remember playing Heboris in it's million incarnations (I think I played some Hebo Mini netplay vs Zaphod forever ago) and I remember a ton of forums drama (like Altimor's previous persona, the HD split, etc).

The only Tetris I play these days is TGM, but if I'm sufficiently bored, I'll play on TOP. I took a TGM break a few years ago and learned to play SRS games.

I used to be really into Starcraft: Brood War, but as much of a fan of the game I was, I was more a fan of the Korean scene. So when that died out, my interest waned. Even with the minor resurgence, it doesn't have the same spark that it used to.

I play some USF4 occasionally, but I'm more of a spectator than a player. I reached 2000 PP on PC late last year, but haven't really played too much since then.

I enjoy playing Go. I play a couple of games a week on KGS and I'm about 4-5 kyu.

As a kid, I loved Tetris Attack on the Gameboy, but no other puzzle games at the moment.

Google, a very long time ago.

Kitaru, clincher and Qlex like this.
  2. zid

zid

Hi guys, muf has INSISTED I do an introductory shitpost, hi noobs.

I long long walks on the beach, and dreaming about kitaru's flowing hair.

My current PB is an S3 in shirase, and an M9 at taking abuse from altimor.

Betelgeuse, Qlex, Kitaru and 3 others like this.
  3. 1.Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player? Gameboy Tetris as a kid, a lot of Atari Tetris in the arcade after school and all summer. Lots of TetriNET in Jr High/High School. It's been a very long break since then and I've been back a few months playing a bit of everything.

2. What Tetris games do you play and how much do you play?

Tetris Friends, TGM1/2/3/CCSakura, Nullpomino/Texmaster, Cultris, NES Tetris. Lately I've been playing every day for at least a couple hours.

3. What other games besides Tetris (if any ) keep you busy?
    Many FPS, Heroes of the Storm, League of Legends, Punch Out, Mario Kart.

4. Any other block/puzzle games you enjoy?
    Many fond memories of Kirby's Avalanche and Dr Mario, but not much these days.

5. How did you find out about tetrisconcept?
    Google

MaryHadALittle, Qlex and Kitaru like this.
  4. 1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player? ^^

I started on the Tetris DS (3 years ago? When I was eleven maybe?) and I watched players like MicroBlizz and TGM Holic, and they became my role models. I am not sure if I am a *great* player, but, not to sound arrogant, but I never realized how fast I was until I saw my friends play.

My main clone is Nullpomino, where I got GM on Grade Mania, S5 on Grade Mania 2, and 1 and a qualified grade of 5 on Grade Mania 3, along with an average of 7 minutes on Marathon.

3. What other games besides Tetris (if any ^^) keep you busy?

Minecraft Factions, a pseudo-geopolitical game of backstabs and lies, along with Civ V

1010 World. I don't know other than that.

I searched TGM3. Nuff' Said.

MaryHadALittle, Kitaru and Qlex like this.
  5. 1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player? ^^
    I started playing because I ended up having a copy of Tetris & Dr. Mario early on, with my first game system, a SNES. I've been playing it on and off since then, and I consider myself a player.

I focus on those of Service Games' 1988 arcade lineage, such as the original 1988 arcade "Tetris" by Sega, or the TGMs.

Half-Life 2: Deathmatch mainly, also Unreal Tournament. I generally like purposeful games.

Not yet.

I did. But I don't remember. Is that fine?

MaryHadALittle, Kitaru and Qlex like this.
  6. 1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player? ^^

I have not yet started playing, that's what I'm here for :D

I started with tetris-like games back on the N64 with Pokemon Puzzle League, I want to start playing the TGM series soon (funds allowing :D)

I am a competitive Super Smash Bros Melee Player, I play about 40-60 hours of Melee a week, I'm a Fox/Marth main, so I'm used to frame-perfect inputs and moving my hands fast. I also used to be a semi-competitive Starcraft 2 player at the Diamond League level, which is another APM intensive game.

As stated above, I really love Pokemon Puzzle League. I'm also into Bubble Bobble and Bust-A-Move.

AGDQ and SGDQ of course :D

I would also like to give a brief introduction to myself - my "tag" is Keebler, because I'm a pretty small dude, thus I am like a Keebler Elf, so "Keebler" became my nickname in high school. I've been playing competitive games for about 5 years now, starting with SCII, and I've been playing Melee for almost a year and a half. I help organize and run the most successful tournament series in Houston, Texas, known as "Smash at the Dojo!" where we get together and play Melee in my buddy's karate dojo. I travel all over Texas attending tournaments, and I have met quite a good handful of the best players including Axe, Mew2King, Westballz, Darkrain, Wobbles, Armada... the list goes on. I really think that I'll be good at Tetris because it is a high-intensity game, much like Melee, there are many insanely quick finger movements, and it is incredibly satisfying to pull off combos.

Thanks for reading guys!

7. Hi there ^-^,

my name is Anna and I am one of the rare TGM players from germany.

Tetris was my first GameBoy game, when I was young. Besides I really love puzzle games :). I play actively Tetris since 1 year, staring with Tetris DS. After maxing out the game and watching AGDQ 2015 I started with the TGM Series (since 4 months).
    I do not consider myself to be a great player, I just enjoy the game and its speed :).

GameBoy Tetris (~1 year before I stopped playing it)
    Tetris DS (~3 years altogether)
    FacebookTetris (~2 weeks before I got bored)
    TGM1, 2 and 3 (~4 months / ~30 minutes altogether per day)
    NullpoMino (for training purposes)

I still enjoy Warios Woods and Puzzle League DS
    I also like Go (~8 kyu) and Badminton :)

Warios Woods and Puzzle League DS

Qlex sweet T-Shirt at the AGDQ ;)

Have fun :)

Last edited: 2 Sep 2015
  8. Hello there! Time to make a introduction post!

1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player? ^^

I started playing Tetris when I was...6? I'm not sure, but whenever I started, I had a DS and Tetris DS. I slowly got addicted to the game and was able to make several Tetris throughout the game, to the point where I could ace all the other modes. I've been playing all my entire life. Not dedicated, but I play it from time to time. I'm not a great player. I mean, I'm good. Not great. I don't T-Spin plus I'm not that great at games like Tetris TGM 2 & 3.

Now, I play Tetris Friends, TGM 2 & 3, and DS from time to time.

Mainly Team Fortress 2, but aside from that I also play more masochistic games like Spelunky and 1001 Spikes. I like difficulty.

Tetris Attack's pretty fun, even though it's not Tetris. It's also called Puzzle League today (I'm sure most of you know that).

Because KevinDDR's awesome. Did some lookin' around and found him on here. Finally decided to register here so I could probably learn new strategies from the masters here.

Anyways, hello!

9. 1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player? ^^

I don't remember when I first played Tetris, but it was most likely a version on the weird SkyTV games thing (which closed earlier this year, rip) when I was like 5-7 years old. I also remember having Tetris DS on an R4 card at some point and not being very good at it. I started playing Tetris regularly around February/March this year after seeing the TGM Exhibition at AGDQ (I missed it because it was late at night for Europe and so accidentally found it when someone posted it on a forum I frequent) and since then I've gradually gotten better. I don't think I'm fantastic, but I'd say I'm pretty decent.

I mostly play the TGM games, though I also play NES Tetris a fair bit. I usually play at least an hour a day, most days a week.
    Out of the TGM games I mostly play 3 via Texmaster (NullpoMino if I feel like playing Big) but I'm currently trying to improve my TGM1 before I buy a stick later on in the year.

I've recently been playing a lot of Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+ recently, and a fair bit of Axiom Verge. I spend many an hour playing various Pokémon games (mostly Omega Ruby), and the fact that I managed to catch all 719 should give you an idea of just how much I play. I've also played about 480 hours of Terraria in the past.

Puyo Puyo has been a big one for me ever since I had a Mega Drive w/ Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine when I was a kid (although mum probably clocked more hours on it than I did, lol). Picross is also pretty cool IMO.
    LOCALISE PUYO PUYO TETRIS DAMNIT

I heard it mentioned at AGDQ, but never really investigated. I used the Wiki a lot back when I was still learning TGM, but never bothered with the forum. Back in May when I'd received the news we were going to Disneyland in August, I took to Twitter and the Hard Drop forums to see if I could find any arcades nearby that I could play TGM at, as I'd heard that there were cabs in France but didn't know where. Qlex got back to me on Twitter with Arcade Street and Rosti LFC (I think) got back to me on Hard Drop with a link to a thread here talking about Arcade Street. Asked parents about it, they said OK, me and Qlex arranged a meet-up on the Thursday... and eventually we didn't get to go because of various things, mostly travel related (you'd think a place with Paris in the name would be significantly less than 45 minutes away from Paris, but there you go). Qlex made a thread about said meetup, and here we are.

Last edited: 22 Sep 2015
  10. Hey! Name's Adar. I'm from Tel Aviv, Israel.

1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player? ^^

Probably around June this year. I stumbled across the famed AGDQ performance while watching speedruns, and was absolutely fucking mesmerized. It just looked so cool, sounded amazing and I just couldn't believe my eyes. I've been playing rather obsessively since then. Every time I wow myself with my own performance I just get a rush. A true addiction like I haven't felt in many years.

I've been playing regular TAP master, then switched to nullpomino and played mostly 20g classic3. A few weeks ago I came back to TAP, to tackle Death this time and wrap my head around the classic 2 rules, so far my PB is level 270 at Death.

Just TAP and Nullpomino. If anyone knows how I can get my hands on TGM3 for PC (nothing I tried worked), holler at me.

Nothing else. Complete addiction (well, programming part time and still being in Uni doesn't help much with free time..)

What is this heresy?

Google I guess? Can't really tell at this point. Kinda stumbled here. Ya'll are awesome :)

11. hello i'm a dumb 14yo finnish stepmania player

someone linked a video by kevin in a chat i'm in and it looked really cool so i started playing it, it's been around 5 months now but i broke my space bar and took a break for a while until i decided to use a really good ghetto setup where i replace my space bar with alt gr and somehow it works, i am definitely not good at this game yet (tgm3 qualified 4)

TGM2 and 3, i play about an hour a day

stepmania, i'm one of the fastest players there but that's really the only interesting thing about me so i have bragging rights

not really, i don't play many games at all, just tetris and stepmania mainly

i was doing research on things and found this website and damn that wiki is nice
    also i've been lurking here for a month or so now so why not make an account

feel free to give me advice, i feel like my biggest problem is stacking in high gravity, i'm very prone to screwing up and intentionally making holes while trying to fix others

Kitaru, Qlex and MaryHadALittle like this.
  12. Hi everyone, I'm Hans and I think it is about time I made an account here.
    Some of you may remember me from the last Eindhoven meeting, I was there for a short while on Thursday. Sucks that I had such a busy weekend, otherwise I would have been there more... maybe next year.

Untill about June this year I hadn't played Tetris since the original Gameboy Tetris, but after seeing AGDQ and SGDQ I just had to give this a try. I'm still no good at this game. I'm finally starting to reach level 500 regularly on TGM1, but suck at 20G, so that's what I'm training now.

TGM (regular and with 20G code) and TAP. I play between half an hour and an hour these days.

Not much lately, some couterstrike occasionally.

None recently, I played 2048 for a while, but that got boring pretty quickly.

Through Google, trying to find some advice on TGM.

I recently bought an arcade stick, because both my PS3 controllers (which I used until then) were starting to wear out. I managed to get a Hori Real Arcade Pro Hayabusa for cheap, but It turned out not to work on PC out of the box, so I modded it so that it did. But I'll write a separate post about that later.

Kitaru, Muf and Qlex like this.
  13. It's so awesome that ADGQ and SDGQ are still bringing in new players. It's going slowly, but maybe by around 2025 people will be taking Tetris seriously again? ;)

Qlex likes this.
  14. I personally like that pace :)
    Welcome guys!

15. FeV

FeV

Hi I'm Effy and I'm addicted to going fast.

I started playing Tetris because I like puzzles and I like to challenge myself. I have been playing Tetris in general for about 10 years but only seriously for about 3 months now. I'm pretty bad, but I'm making quick strides, so maybe someday soon I'll consider myself pretty good.

TGM and TAP. Mostly just TAP Death though. I play a few hours a day almost every day.

Nothing right now, but I plan to go back to speedrunning Super Metroid at some point, so there's that.

EDGE sort of falls into this category, I guess? So that.

*GDQ (shocking, isn't it?)

My main project right now is to get an M in Death. I'll probably start streaming attempts on hitbox more soon if anyone wants to stop by. :)

Kitaru and Qlex like this.
  16. Curious, as someone who just started playing recently, what's your highest level in Death?

17. FeV

FeV

I just got a 359 yesterday. :)

Kitaru likes this.
  18. 1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player?
    I've mainly started playing Tetris, because it was one of the few GB games my grandmother had lying around (the other two being R-Type and Super Mario Land). To be honest I found it to be boring and stuck most of the time with R-Type until my aunt showed me the rockets/shuttle/dance and I was like 'I wanna do this, too'. And then I somehow didn't play any Tetris whatsoever for about 20 years until I saw tc.net's TGM exhibition at AGDQ'15 and again I was like 'I wanna do this, too'.
    I wouldn't consider myself a great player, I can consistenly get the 400+ in TGM, but that's it.

Mostly Texmaster (Novice, Normal, Special), when I'm not at home I spend time with the 3DS version of Tetris Ultimate.

3. What other games besides Tetris (if any) keep you busy?
    Nearly every big AAA release with a (good) singleplayer mode. At the moment Fallout 4, before that it was Arkham Knight and in between I like to pop a round TF2, Binding of Isaac: Rebirth/Afterbirth, Ikaruga and other shmups, mainly by Cave.

Minecraft with the gf.

AGDQ'15

Kitaru and Qlex like this.
  19. Just stopping by in this thread for a moment to say that it's so cool to see that so many people have either found out about TGM or started playing it since AGDQ. Making the trip there was a huge pain for myself and Qlex (and probably the other guys too) and it was certainly not during a good time in my life so I'm glad it had such a lasting impact on people's awareness of what I consider to be one of the greatest games ever made.

20. Yeah, I know I have already said this but I'm very glad that this community got just the right amount of exposure. The more the merrier, and we still get awesome local meetups. What a time to be alive!

Not answering everyone, but my like means welcome!