The Introduction Thread

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Ai, 30 May 2008.

1. Ai

Ai

Re: Can you tell me more about...

I was told about the multiplier increasing if you destroy enemies without losing lives not so long ago. At the begin of the week I started playing the single player mode galaxies and I have managed to get a few gold medals. Still can't get a decent score in Retro Evolved though.

Thanks for clarifying this. I was indeed confused by the title and I was looking for more videos or a video with coverage of more games.

2. PikaTheXIII

PikaTheXIII Unregistered

1. How and why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing Tetris and if you consider yourself a great player? ^^

Let's see, for me I started playing maybe when i was around 9 yrs old, I'm 21 now lol and I got into it mostly becuz we wernt one of those "rich" families that had all the newer game systems, just a NES and Tetris and a few other games but yeah, I took a long break but still kept playing then in about 2001 I went to a tourney that my girlfriend (at the time), said I should attend, Well I did and to my surprise I came in 2nd, I started playing more and more trying to get used to all the newer modes and everything that had been added. Not to sound stuck up or anything but most of the ppl i've played havent been able to beat me or have with difficulty. I'm not going to say i'm the best in the world but I know I have skill. so I guess that answers that question.

2. What Tetris games do you play and how much do you play daily on average?

I had Tetris DS and I played that but due to me being cheap and broke all the time, I got rid of my DS and the game lol, lately i've been playing Tetris Splash and Tetris Party, I'm going to start playing TGM more and try to get a better rank on that.

3. What other games besides Tetris (if any ^^) keep you busy?

I play a lot of Bemani games, Dance Dance Revolution, Beatmania IIDX, Pop'n Music. Lumines. yup yup

4. Any other block/puzzle game you recommend I should look into? Tetris variants are also welcome.

Lumines is always fun ^^

3. Re: Can you tell me more about...

i know the topic is old but i enjoy reading others' responses so i'll give my own as well:
    1. How and why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing Tetris and if you consider yourself a great player?
    my first tetris game that i really got into was NES tetris(nintendo version), hence my avatar. i started playing it around 1989/1990(i was age 11 at the time). the game itself really impressed me with its simple and addictive gameplay. a friend and myself had a heated high-score competition that lasted through high school. my highest was 636,000 or so, and he eventually got about 708,000. back then we both considered ourselves top-notch, although today, with the help of tetrisconcept, i know that there are many better players out there.

nowadays i play a several games:TetrisParty(wii), TetrisDS(NDS), LockJaw(PC with gamepad), Heboris(gamepad), TGM and TAP(gamepad+learning joystick).
    i would say i play about 4-5 hours weekly, sometimes more, sometimes less. I'm currently unemployed, unfortunately, so i have more time to play games and such.

3. What other games besides Tetris (if any ) keep you busy?
    over the past few years i have loved: the katamari series(PS2+PSP), lumines 1and2(PSP+PS2), meteos(NDS), REZ(PS2 but it has also recently been re-released for X-Box360 on the live arcade). i've also dabbled a bit with GranTurismo4(PS2), guitar hero2(PS2), and geometry wars:galaxies(wii+NDS).

*edit*i forgot to mention a really cool music game for PS2 called Technic Beat, developed by Arika. it has one song referencing tetris called 'TGM in the bottle,' a techno remix featuring the block sound effects. also many other game song remixes. check it out.

4. Any other block/puzzle game you recommend I should look into? Tetris variants are also welcome.
    lumines and the original meteos.

4. jujube

jujube Unregistered

is Gran Turismo 4 much better than #3? i thought about getting it but wasn't sure if it would be significantly better.

5. Re: Can you tell me more about...

I would say 4 is quite a bit better than 3. In pretty much every sense. Extra tracks, extra cars, shinier graphics, new challenges, better realism.

The AI is still pretty awful though.

6. Re: Can you tell me more about...

1. How and why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing Tetris and if you consider yourself a great player?

Lets see. I started playing Tetris when it came out for the NES. Shortly after that, I was grounded. No tv, no Nintendo. One of my friends came to the rescue. He let me borrow his GameBoy. Never really stopped playing since.

My Tetris history...

NES and GameBoy Tetris untill I got my PlayStation. Then I started playing Tetris Plus. Tetris Worlds on the PS2 when that came out. (Oh, the joys of having hold!!!) My first online experience playing others was Evolution for the 360. Tetris Splash, TGM1, TGM2, Heboris, Texmaster, Lockjaw... Some others down the years, but none of them that much.

Currently, I've been playing a little bit of everything: Splash, Facebook, TGM1, TGM2, Texmaster, Lockjaw, Heboris, Tetris Online Japan. Uh, I think that's it. My average day will be about an hour or so. Some days will be spent with me oblivious to anyting that isn't made up of tetris pieces...

3. What other games besides Tetris (if any) keep you busy?

I like a wide variety of games, but will go through phases of playing them. I was playing Call of Duty 4 for a while, Grand Theft Auto 4, Tiger Woods, NHL '07 (GO FLYERS!!!! not that they are gonna win since the Phillies just won the World Series) and some Xbox Live arcade games. There are others, but I won't bore you more.

Not that other people haven't already mentioned.

7. Re: Can you tell me more about...

I edited my last post to fill out the info, but it doesn't bump the thread, so...BUMP!!!

8. jujube

jujube Unregistered

another way you can bump (as suggested by caffeine) is

edit the post -> copy -> delete post -> post reply -> paste -> submit

which only takes maybe 10 seconds longer.

9. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Including the paste to Notepad in case your browser crashes and loses your clipboard between steps 3 and 6?

10. Muf

Muf

What browser do you use that has its own clipboard implementation instead of the standard OS/Windowing system's clipboard? When I copy text in IE, Firefox or Google Chrome, I don't lose it when the browser crashes.

11. Re: Can you tell me more about...

Ah, I forgot I can delete post's on here. I'm still stuck in the xbox forums.... Can't delete your own posts and only have about 3.2 seconds to edit it.....

12. jujube

jujube Unregistered

ok 20 seconds longer [​IMG]

muf: gotta agree with tepples here. i don't trust dem browsers. i've had stuff disappear from my clipboard before, for whatever reason (browser-related or not), and it is reassuring to paste in notepad before you delete something or save an edit. i always do it before previewing/saving a wiki page.

13. Re: Can you tell me more about...

When I paste in Notepad it's not so much to save the info as it is to verify I've actually copied it. I've typo'd the copy shortcut too many times to trust it blindly.

14. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

1. How and why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing Tetris and if you consider yourself a great player? ^^

I began on SNES with T & Dr M., with my sister..We were as strong, but she prefered to become a great player of Dr. M

[​IMG]

I should update it...But with what !!???? [​IMG]

And yes, I consider myself as the greatest player the world's never seen..

by period :
    currently : DOOM and 20G G4 with ARS
    then :
    - texmaster sud ti and spe ti
    - lockjaw 40
    - TAP Master/Death
    - TGM
    - TAP Master/Death
    - 20G G4 DRS
    - 20G G4/DOOM SRS
    - 20G G4 DRS
    - 20G G4/DOOM ARS
    - etc etc...

- 90% --> Tetris
    - 8% --> Opart serie
    - 1% --> Megaman serie
    - 0.8% --> Extreme G serie
    - 0.2% --> Other..

HMMmm..No..
    Tetris ? What else.. [​IMG]

15. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Perhaps I misstated the problem. Sometimes I pull a colour_thief and miss Ctrl+C, especially when I type on the smaller keyboard of my new laptop. Sometimes I accidentally copy something else in another program. Sometimes Firefox's idea of the clipboard becomes corrupted, or its handler for keyboard shortcuts becomes corrupted, and copy does nothing. Sometimes the OS crashes, or sometimes the power fails. I was just advising against using the clipboard to hold the only copy of data that you expect to persist.

16. Your Connection

Your Connection Unregistered

1. How and why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing Tetris and if you consider yourself a great player?'
    '
    I started playing Tetris when it was available on the original GameBoy. I only played it for a little while though since I was very young and not really into games. (I never really got into gaming until the N64 was released and I was obsessed with GoldenEye and LoZ:ooT.) After that long tetris-less void, I was skimming through the xbox live arcade library late one night bored wanting to spend points and I came across Tetris Splash. I guess since there is a time logger on there I have been playing TS for 26 days now. I consider myself an alright player in the FFA. I'm still currently trying to work on my 40 line time which currently stands at 46.88 seconds.

Recently all I have been playing was Tetris Splash but a while ago for 3 days about an hour a day I tried playing Tetris Evolution but I couldn't get used to the game physics. Other Tetris games I have tried include Heboris, Lockjaw, Facebook Tetris, Tetris for Mobile, Cultris, and a Tetris widget in the Opera Web Browser (pretty neat like stacking in a cylinder.) And lately I have been playing tetris probably half an hour or an hour a day because of work and school. But during the summer time I can recall playing that game at least 5-6 hours a day easily. It became my new addiction.

3. What other games besides Tetris (if any) keep you busy?

Recently I would have to say Left4Dead, CoD4, GoW2, Rock Band 2, and Guitar Hero: World Tour and/or Guitar Hero III.

Portal, 3D Logic, and Sudoku? I guess... lol

17. Ai

Ai

Thank you for sharing your Tetris related experiences! You seem like a fast player. And welcome to tetrisconcept!!!

Oh and also thanks for bumping this thread back to the front page. ^^

18. Teeeef

Teeeef Unregistered

This is totally my first post so greeting everyone!

I *semi* started playing Tetris when I was about 8 when my mom told me to play it because she was addicted to it in collage ( I thought it sucked) but I really got into it maybe a year ago with Tetris splash. My friend was playing TF2 so his brother asked me if i wanted to play tetris with him because he had just got it off XBLA. I got stomped but because of that whenever i was at his house I would play tetris. Soon enough I beat my friend's brother but I couldn't stop. I think Im a good player. I can beat anyone I know or around town and for a while i was 556 on the Tetris splash 40 line boards.

I own Tetris for the gameboy, tetris ds, Tetris evolution, tetris splash, tetris mania (whatever the phone on is), and tetris party. I try to get at least 2 hours of play in a day mostly between tetris ds, splash, and lockjaw.

I play WoW, TF2, Street fighter, LBP, and any of the 2d mario games whenever im not playing tetris. Im getting into juggling (if thats a game)!

I thought i learned how to play well from tetris ds. It has marathon and 40 line clear and its portable so you can play it when your supposed to be working (yay!). Pokemon puzzle league is the only block game i can remember so try that. Hey its another reason to break out a 64!

19. Re: Can you tell me more about...

I got my first Game Boy when I was 7 years old or something, but it didn't come with Tetris. I got Kid Icarus instead. (great game, much better than the one for the NES if you ask me, and you can save..)
    It was not until a couple of years later, when I was in the 5th grade that I got a hold of Tetris. I traded my Zelda Links Awakening with a classmate for his "105 in 1" game pak. (which is really like 15 games)
    It includes small games such as Super Mario Land, Tennis, Turtles, Adventure Island and Tetris, and some fun japanese games not released over here. (I got my nickname from a game listed as "kid kiki", I thought the sound effect when you died sounded like "Bruuueee" and then from that it went to Burbruee [​IMG] )

But I didn't really play Tetris that much back then, a little now and then but nothing serious.
    I had Tetris & Dr. Mario for the SNES at one point, but I didn'r really like it very much to be honest, I was more busy playing other games.

So, almost 10 years later I go to the message board for Tetris (GB) on GameFaqs, just for fun.
    There I see a topic with something like "What's your highest score (game a)" as a title.
    Well, since the game won't save scores I had to go find my game boy and try to beat those who have posted in the topic since I'm _very_ competitive. (And my GameBoy which by this time is now a GBC or GBASP, but I choose GBC for better D-pad)
    I played it for a bit and got something like 384,000 points, it's alright but not great. /* This was after watching Spectre's video */

I then notice this one person by the nickname of spectre, and I check his progress because he is trying to max out the score.. Which I've never ever heard someone do before.
    Weeks and months later he gets really close and eventually makes it and uploads a video of it.

I start watching the video and this is probably the most I've learned when it comes to Tetris, ever.
    After watching his video, I'm _very_ impressed and I'm about 400% better player after watching it. Spectre indirectly taught me better stacking by uploading that video, and I learned so much from it in terms of building strategies.

From this point on, I was clearly addicted to Tetris for life. I started playing from the minute I got home from school to very late, averaging about 5 hours a day for about a week.
    This was also when I transformed from a crappy player to a good player. I started dreaming about the game and seeing blocks and thinking of real-life objects as tetrominos because I would think of the game as soon as I saw something with a shape like that.
    I also did a lot of "mental tetris" where I just imagine the playfield and me putting the blocks where they fit when I didn't couldn't play, for example in class.
    I never dream tetris anymore, I've heard you only do that at the start of your "career" or addiction. But I still do mental tetris from time to time.

I got a DS in January of 2006 and Tetris DS was released in March. I bought it on the release date, together with Metroid Prime Hunters released the same day or a couple of days later I think.
    I start playing that, playing much on Wifi but also all the other modes, I also start submitting my scores to cyberscore.net. I also participated in some smaller tournaments on some swedish forums. Unfortunately it was not much of a challenge.
    It was now that I heard about this forum, or rather (like so many other in this topic) I google "t-spins" and end up here. [​IMG]

By the year 2007 my DS has a little "accident" and breaks in two separating the bottom and upper parts of the system. I think I had a rating online of about 7600 or 7800 or something like that before the accident.
    I still have not repaired it or bought a new one. It's a shame, I would like to try out nds tgm.

So, after the accident I go back to good old GameBoy Tetris, and look here a bit and here about Heboris and Lockjaw. I try both but in the end I went with Heboris because it looked more like the "tetris japan finals" video. (also mentioned before)

From there, I've tried a number of clones, such as Cultris and Quadra. And lately Texmaster and MAME + TGM.
    (this was only the first question?! [​IMG] )

Do I consider myself a great player? Not after coming here. But I do have the potential of becoming a great player. I just need to learn how to SURVIVE to 999..

Like I said I started out with GB Tetris, never owned Tetris DX but I've played it on emulators and it's fun. Then some other games like Tetris Plus for GB and Tetris & Dr. Mario for SNES, oh and let's not forget Tengen Tetris for NES, which I liked much better than Nintendos Tetris.
    But currently, or since I joined these forums I've played too many clones I think. Heboris, Lockjaw, Cultris, Quadra, TGM, TAP, Texmaster, Blokkendoos are the ones that stand out and I've played the most.
    At this moment Blokkendoos, Texmaster and TGM1 are my favourites.

That depends, I play many homebrew games on my GP2X before bedtime. (if my Tetris-addiction hasn't made me stay up all night and "just playing one more round" and all of a sudden it's 8 am. [​IMG] )
    One of the best games for it is Sqdef, a highly addictive and very well made Tower Defense game.
    Another great game is the commercial game (one of the few) Wind & Water: Puzzle Battles which is now also available for the Dreamcast.
    At the moment I'm awaiting the release of the unofficial sequal to Giana Sisters (that C64 game that reminded a bit too much of Mario) It's called Giana's Return and looks very promising. Was supposed to be out around January 1st, but it's a bit delayed.

I've falled into the Metroid-trap lately, I started playing Metroid Prime for the Gamecube last week, played for about 30-40 minutes and thought it was a great game. (never played it back then because I don't really like First Person Perspective, but turns out it's a great game) However, for some reason I stop playing and start playing Metroid for the NES (emulated on my GP2X) for the first time as well. And I didn't think I would enjoy such an old game today, I thought that I would get frustrated by not knowing where to go and play for about 5 minutes and never play it again. But as it turns out, it was great! I might even have enjoyed it just as much as Super Metroid. And speaking of Super Metroid.. After playing through Metroid for the first, second AND third time (all on the same day [​IMG] ) I couldn't get enough and started playing Super Metroid as well. I haven't played it since back in the 90s, so I guess I'm going to do it again. I played through both Zero Mission and Fusion last year, so I don't think I need to do that again.

Well, I really enjoyed columns for the GAME GEAR when I was a kid. (but NOT any other version for some reason)
    Other than that I can't think of any, maybe Puzznic which I enjoyed on the Amiga.

But I haven't played neither for the last 10-15 years..

And of course, like I mentioned before, Wind & Water for GP2X and Dreamcast is a really great puzzle game. Really. I was just going to try the demo one night and I ended up buying the game instantly. After Tetris I think it's one of the better, recent puzzle games.

IF YOU MADE IT THIS FAR WITHOUT SKIPPING ANY TEXT, CONGRATULATIONS. [​IMG]

20. Re: Can you tell me more about...

Actually I play tetris on paper whenever I'm in class and can't play. Usually I rig up a piece sequence using a quick generator I rigged up on my TI-89 (which, ironically, doesn't have tetris on it), and then draw a 10x100 grid or so and start stacking. Holes can get ugly to remember where they are, but hopefully if I stack well that won't happen [​IMG]. Usually I use it to practice slow 20G, since I want to be able to be more consistent in stable 20G stacking.

Have you looked into speedrunning/sequence breaking? Honestly, it's made metroid games about 50 times more fun for me. ^^
    (beating Ridley without the Varia Suit, YEAAAA!~)