Your preferred method of input for the falling tetromino gam

Thread in 'Discussion' started by makalaka, 19 Jul 2007.

1. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Imagine shortcutting the visual processing and decision making parts of the brain too. Now you're firmly in Colin Fahey territory.

2. hi everybody, I'm new here. Tetris has always been one of my favorite games and I've always been the best tetris player among people I know but the stuff on this site has shown me that I am not as good as I thought I was. My first step in taking tetris more seriously is tossing aside tetris DS and starting over on the superior PC games.

The joystick I'm currently using has a happ competition stick and buttons. I'm not quite satisfied with the joystick and I was wondering if people have found Sanwa (Japanese arcade parts) stick and buttons to be better suited for tetris? I know Sawna sticks have a shorter throw and the buttons are more sensitive. Or maybe do I just need a simple 4-way stick instead of the 8-way I'm currently using?

Please share with me your experiences, thank you.

3. Tetris wifi can be serious... [​IMG]
    But yeah, TGM is more hardcore

Considering most people who use joysticks here seem to use Sanwa ones, I'd say they're likely to recommend you switch, but I can't speak for them.

4-way is also better than 8-way.

4. The people here who have Sanwa sticks would all recommend them, except for one, but that's because he prefers his Seimitsu.

I don't know if your current stick can be converted from 8-way to 4-way, but most of the people here do that to their sticks.

I will leave the rest of this discussion to them, as I have no experience with them...

5. *raises hand*

Honestly, moving from 8-way to 4-way is the only thing you need to do. The rest is all personal preference.

6. Yep. And even with the same stick (namely, Sanwa's JLF-TP-8Y), there still are differences.

I remember Jagorochi's Real Arcade Pro 2 being far less responsive than his Tekken 4 stick while my Virtua Stick High Grade is somewhere between them.

Oh, and the JLF-TP-8Y has a rebound problem if you hit him too hard. While this issue is not a huge one, it can be problematic if you want to double-tap in a high-speed environment.

7. And I think there are a few people here who remember what CT said the last time he tried to double-tap with a Sanwa...

8. thanks for the input everybody. Looks like I have to save up for a new stick, the shipping from playasia for the virtua stick high grade is over 40 bucks =(

9. hey guys, sorry to bump this old thread but I'm having a custom stick built for tetris and I'm racking my mind trying to figure out if I want a Sanwa or Seimitsu stick. I know seimitsu have a shorter throw and smaller deadzone so that allows for double taps but how essential is double tapping? I saw in the finesse movement section of the wiki that double taps aren't in any of the optimal moves in 20g mode but they are in 0g sections. Does that mean that double taps isn't optimal for a game like TGM but used in something like 40 lines in Lockjaw?

sorry if this is a dumb question but it appears on paper that seimitsu is a better tetris stick but I'd like to know how useful the added accuracy for double tapping with a seimitsu stick is for tetris? another reason I ask cause having a sanwa would let me pop in the octagon restriction plate and play some fighters as well. Thank you.

10. I'm literally the only person here that uses a Seimitsu. Nobody else has even tried it... I've also clocked in many hours with a Sanwa, even if I still have trouble double tapping. The double tapping issue is not really the stick's fault: better technique and more practice should eliminate the problem for me.

About the usefulness of double tapping... Well they definitely come up every game. I'd call them pretty essential, albeit not your first choice. Triple tapping and higher should almost never hapen though, except for Doubles mode.

Even though I use a Seimitsu, I'm tempted to recommend Sanwa to beginners:

-the stick is lower tension, making zangi-moves much more natural

-Seimitsu's 4-way guide must be broken in with many many hours of play before it reaches an optimal shape

-you probably won't have the double tap problem unless your joystick technique is randomly deficient in the same way as mine

Another thing to consider is that Sanwa tends to be prefered for fighters and (I think) Seimitsu tends to be prefered for shmups.

11. what exactly is double tapping?

12. left-left or right-right